Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Garvie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

BT Infinity 2 Broadband Fault Diagnosis

Hi

I have had the following issues with my home broadband for several weeks now.

1. My mobile phone internet connection cannot function on my home wi-fi. Cant sign on to anything. Cant view any web pages etc. Just churns away doing ....  something? However when I sign on to BT wifi with FON everything works fine.

2. My PS4 wont connect to PSN so cannot be used for anything. Just churns away trying to sign on then times out. However, when I use my phone as a mobile wifi hotspot it signs on fine and all works as it should. (This is my main home entertainment centre).

3. My TV will now not access catch up TV, or BBCi player, Netflix, Amazon. Strangely it can view some internet pages such as euronews? I have also connected using my phone as a hot spot and all works fine.

4. PC (LAN) and laptop (wifi) appear to connect to the internet ok and speed tests show acceptable speeds. However some web sites are incredibly slow and some just time out. Main sites with problems are bank sites, Facebook, You tube, usually sites where I have a sign on account. Generally web site loading is way slower than should be the case with Infinity.

Clearly I have a problem with my broadband connection. However, BT until now have not managed to fix it. I think they still think all is ok and that it is my equipment settings that are causing these issues. I think the fact that connecting my equipment via FON or hot spot shows that the fault lies with my HUB/BT Server. I suspect that it is the server as I am now on HUB number 3. I have a HUB6 with all settings as default settings.

I've just received a message from BT to tell me that the fault has been fixed. It has not been fixed so I am now nearing the end of my tether. My broadband at home is next to useless and I am paying good money for a service that I am not getting.

Do you have any advice on how I can try one last time to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Infinity 2 Broadband Fault Diagnosis

turn off smart setup

split the 2.4/5ghz networks and select your channels manually

post stats from hh6 - advanced settings then technical log information

enter phone number and post results  remember delete number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Garvie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

2.4/5.0Ghz split. Phone check, HH6 stats and log attached.

BT Phone Number Check.jpgHUB6 Settings.jpgHUB6_Log.jpg

The actual log file is a .txt file and I can't upload it here. There is a lot of text in the log file.

Don't know what you mean by quiet line test?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

quiet line test as I said  dial 17070 with landline then select option 2 then after announcement just listen - there should be no noise - hiss/crackle just silence

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

connection time is very short is that due to manual reset or router dropping connection?

your wifi security is set to WPA and not WPA2 - is that on purpose?

your connection stats look ok with max speed 80/20

is smart setup off?

have you tried changing wireless mode to 2 or 3

0 Ratings
Garvie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Did quiet time test. All sounds quiet to me.

I did not change anything on security settings? Not on purpose anyway. Should I change it to WPA 2? But this only affects wifi signals, no? Forgot to say but when I connect PS4 using LAN the result is the same. So I don't think my problems are wifi related (but I am no expert).

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

security should be wpa2

0 Ratings
Garvie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

It is WPA2. I think I lost the 2 when saved as text file. See jpg attached.HUB6_Settings2.jpg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

what about short connection time?

smart setup off?

0 Ratings
Garvie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Smart setup is off.

0 Ratings