Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
wraith66
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity 2 Broadband Router disconnects

Hello everyone

ok lets see if someone can help me, plus its my first post here...

I got BT Infinity 2 approx 3 years ago and everything was fine getting 76mb. then after approx over 1 year later it drop to approx 68mb now it at 64mb, but i still happy to get that as i live in a small village and i know a lot of people who is only getting 10mb and less...i signed up to bt fibre rollout before any one else in the village.

So why the post for help, my Router started to switch off and back on by its self "reboot", this started a lot over the last few months.

as far as i can remember the phone line/socket as never been changed while i have lived in the house since 1994 and it is still using the old BT phone box socket in the house, this as only 1 socket where you plug the micro filter in, it does not have removable face plate..

if you remove the faceplate you see approx 6 or 8 wires all are in the clips, note none is loss etc

Home Hub 5. all using earthnet, wireless is turned off.

all cables have been replaced, just to make sure its not my cables to blame.

Spoken to BT online and phone call they want to charge me £130, not paying that i pay £60+ a month for this service should be free, to fix a problem..

what i have plugged into the Router

XBOX 1 set in the DMZ

PC ports open

IPTV "tv onlin"e ports open

Today was a bad day twice in few hrs, as i make texture tiles for games and use an online program to make them sometimes, if it goes offline i lose that work..

plus i have a BT 6500 phone, not sure if this would have anything linked to the issure above, some times the screen lights up and says line cord error, pls note this is not when the router is resetting infact its never been anytime when the router as reset, i am thinking issure with cable from the street cabnet or the ground junction box which is over the road from my house, or from the pole like 30foot away. or even the old box in the house..

for BT Infinity 2 i would have thinked the old cable would have to be renewed by now.

if anyone as any advice PLEASE say it...

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity 2 Broadband Router disconnects

Hi wraith66 and welcome to the forums

It sounds like your HH5 has an electrical fault with the spontaneous reboots. It could be the power adapter or the unit itself. Not sure what the £130 would be for, but I'd ask BT to send another one because of the fault. That shouldn't cost £130. If if does, I'd suggest looking at alternatives. People here can help with that if the HH5 replacement doesn't go well.

Best regards

P.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

The £130 charge is what BT would charge you if the fault turns out to be a fault with your internal wiring or own equipment BT have to warn you about the charge so that you are aware of it. If the fault is not with your internal wiring or own equipment there will be no charge.

As regards the actual fault. If your Homehub is constantly dropping the connection it could be a line fault or a faulty Homehub. The constant restarting will have cause the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) to lower your speeds to try and give you a stable connection.

Going by your description it sounds like you have an old master socket so you will not be able to test by using the master socket/test socket.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

As you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

I suspect at the end of the day that you will have contact BT and report a fault but mean time can you post the above information.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

If the hub is faulty, BT will only replace it if you are still in contract. The guarantee expires with the contract.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 9

As @licquorice has said if you out of contract BT would charge you for a replacement which would be a waste of money. Far better to get your own third party router.

0 Ratings
wraith66
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Hello gg30340

here is some screen shots, the one with the ping not sure why its that high normal is around 19, and also here is the box but also found tis box on the window sill, checked inside this tiny box no bigger than old match box ! mass of wires and very old circuit board in the base of the box, can take another photo if yous want me to ?

btpic6.JPG

btpic4.JPG

btpic2.jpgbtpic3.jpgbtpic1.jpg

0 Ratings
wraith66
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Hello licquorice

Not sure about the Guarantee when we got it 3 years ago yes then signed to another deal, approx 1 year later after not sure which is the year i am in now... to be honest with you,but still paying the same price, think it went up a bit normal price..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Your line stats look OK but I can see that your "up time" is only 4hrs 37mins. Did you do the reset or was that the HH5 doing it?

One thing you could try before anything else is to do ONE factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This can sort out software configuration problems if there are any.

Once you have done the reset can you re-post the new stats from the HH5

0 Ratings
wraith66
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

I never did reset it, if it reset with 4hrs then it must  have been around 7am i was a sleep. and would have missed it, funny thing last few nights its reset between 10-11.30 pm each night and also between 4pm to 6pm it looks like by the image to be doing it at 7am approx, this pattern crazy i do not know how many times a day its going off tho...

already did a factory reset when i was on the phone to bt, when it did it couple times a week now its every day..

think its time to get the guy out....

thankyou for the advice

0 Ratings