Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

BT Infinity 2 Connection Drops

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone can help or provide some insight into a fault I've been having for well over a year on and off where my internet keeps dropping connection. I previously put this down to the reboot/reconnect bug known with BT's modem/router combo units which seemed to commonly plague the BT Home Hub 5 Type A. This was something I was aware of when on an adsl and since being on fttc it's not bothered me so much, however the dropouts have been much more frequent over the last few months. After fttc was installed I had the feed from the telegraph pole replaced twice with a new master socket (2nd engineer mentioned he fitted a better quality cable which seemed to work at the time). I also have a mk3 faceplate with the filters built in and a cat 6 RJ45 > RJ11 for the VDSL connection to the modem and the phone is plugged in through the faceplate (no second sockets/extensions).

The Issue: BT hub would drop connection and often take several hours before it would reconnect and restore internet access however sometimes it can restore connection in ~10 minutes. I recently dived into the 3rd party world and purchased a DrayTek VDSL modem router as I was still in belief that the connections drops (and speed drops as a result) were due to the bt hub reboot bug.

The router stats / online speed tests / general usage has shown that the DL speed doesn't seem to be affected in recent drop outs but upload is around 13.5mbps whereas it would typically be around 18mbps. Sometimes it will stabilise and if I manually reboot after a few days uptime I will get this speed back however the BT Speed Checker states I have a 20mbps profile and 17mbps upload speed although this is not possible through any of the routers as they report ~13mbps and real world usage proves this. In all cases I have tested in the main socket on the faceplate with a filter and I do have a new RJ45/RJ11 cable and faceplate on order though I suspect I cannot change the latter without breaching any t&cs.

Please could someone assist in resolving this fault? The regular drop outs with often extended periods with no connection and then reduced speed as a result is starting to get a little annoying and I would appreciate someone to take in all the history/work done and not ask me to start from square one. Noise test comes through fine (though cordless phone) and all tests have been done on a CAT 6 internal network over various clients so I'm confident the fault is not past the master socket. I have ran the online BT troubleshooter a number of times with the more recent landline/broadband test asking me to start a live chat to arrange an engineer visit, however I felt the history of the fault is more valuable.

Thanks,

Adam

ADSL Checker.PNGADSL Stats.PNGDrayTek Stats.PNGOld Hub Stats.PNG

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Infinity 2 Connection Drops

Btspeedtester has been giving odd results for a while and is a known problem

the log entries are dated 2 march??

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Infinity 2 Connection Drops

Hi,

Ah right I wasn't aware of that problem, I did read a few recent posts in this forum to see if there was anything linked to the kind of issue I've been having.

Yes those are old logs as I tried to extract and keep copies of them, we would see the same log entries for the more recent disconnects if I plugged the HH5 back into the line and just displays how long we've been having the issue.

What steps would you suggest next based on the troubleshooting done so far?

Thanks, Adam.

0 Ratings