cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burke
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

BT Infinity 2 Slow speed in the evenings (>10Mbps) and bad customer service

I've been having problems with my infinity for roughly the last 2-3 weeks where the speed slows down to a crawl in the late afternoon and evenings. During the day, I get the 65-75Mbps that I pay for but every day, without fail starting between 5 and 7pm the speeds start dropping untill they reach somewhere between 2-15Mbps. These numbers come from the BT wholesale speedtest and were done with only one wired device connected to the router.

I've spoken to BT about this twice now, the end of the first conversation left me waiting 3 days for them to call back this monday while I "monitored" the connection. As expected, nothing had changed. When BT called me back on monday, it was in the morning, so naturally my speed was fine. The representative I spoke to didn't, until pressed, seem interested in doing anything else and wanted me to wait another 3 days before calling back because "it all looked fine"! Once pressed, he ran a test on my telephone line and told me there was a fault. I was told that my case had to be sent to "level 2" customer service or something of the sort and that they would ring me back on wednesday between 1-3pm. I had to take time off university to be able to make that slot, all others this week clashed with my timetable too badly. It's now 4pm and I've yet to recieve a call.

Honestly, I'm fuming. I don't know what the issue is, but I'd imagine it's got something to do with congestion on the line, since there is only a problem in the evening. I'm paying full price this month for a service that hasn't been delivered in my opinion. I guess I'm going to have to phone support back this evening but I've pretty much given up all hope that they'll actually do anything. I'm sick of having to repeat the same steps for 45 minutes every time I speak to someone, I mean seriously, it's like they don't keep any records! I'm hoping the people on here are a bit more helpful/competent.

Here are my results from the 3rd test on the BT wholesale speedtest, as you can see my IP profile seems to be correct. I have restarted my router once on friday, as per the instructions of the customer service rep I spoke to, but no more than that as I know that can actually cause an issue that reduces your speeds.

test 3 at 1900 on 3-10.png

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Infinity 2 Slow speed in the evenings (>10Mbps) and bad customer service

which exchange are you on?

can you post the stats from your hub - troubleshooting then helpdesk and 1-12   assuming you use hh5

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Burke
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I assume these are the only stats that are relevant, I don't want to accidentally post something I shouldn't put on the internet!

5. DSL uptime:0 days, 07:50:50
6. Data rate:19999 / 79453
7. Maximum data rate:24176 / 79706
8. Noise margin:15.0 / 6.5
9. Line attenuation:20.3 / 16.8
10. Signal attenuation:20.2 / 16.8
11. Data sent/received:7.3 GB / 93.3 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes

I'm not sure how to check what exchange I'm on. I live in Manchester if that helps. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

enter phone number and post results  remember to delete number

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Burke
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Ok, thanks. My exchange is RUSHOLME and I'm served by cabinet 67 appparently.

Screenshot (9).png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

there are other posts recently from customers on same exchange Rusholme with same problem  https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Infinity-1-was-39Mbit-now-2-evening-weekend...

Burke
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse! This means they should know about the issue and it annoys me that from that thread, nothing seems to have been done. That doesn't leave me optimistic that this will be resolved any time soon.

Thanks for your help though.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 13

Keep an eye on the other thread, I've asked a mod to make enquiries.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

I have already asked mods to help - another request will help

0 Ratings
Burke
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Thank you both for your help, hopefully it gets resolved soon!

0 Ratings