Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Haggini
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity 2 Speed Drop

Go to solution

Hi, 

Like a number of other people I've experienced a degradation in Infinity 2 speed. The original BT estimate I was given was for 50MBs. While I have no historic screenshots from memory the download speeds achieved after installation were >40MBs most of the time.

Quote.png

Recently however the download has dropped to consistently around the 36-38 MBs mark. Having checked the cabinet speed it now seems that this is the maximum the cabinet can support.

Would BT / Openreach do anything to the cabinet that would reduce the available speed (rhetorical question I'm sure)?

CABINET.png

BTWholesale.png

*Anyone know why the download speed bar is red?

I called BT's (woeful) support to report this and they agreed that it looked like there was problem as I was not achieving the speeds I was quoted. I was passed 'up' the chain to their second level of support which consisted of them calling me and hanging up when I answered. I've not heard from them since.

Checking BT's new customer speed checker now gives the following results:

Speedcheck.png

I can appreciate I'm getting a good speed based on the max the cabinet can apparently now provide, and I can accept that as more people in my area sign up to infinity that will impact on the speed as it's shared around, but what frustrates me is being quoted a speed that the actual cabinet it appears can no longer achieve. BT Infinity package 2 is not cheap.

If I were to downgrade to Infinity 1 is it likely that the top speeds I'm achieving now (which are the Inifinity 1 upper limits - conincidental?) will suddenly drop to slower speeds because I'm paying for a lesser service? Has anyone experienced this first hand?

6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity 2 Speed Drop

Go to solution

the most liley cause of the drop in speed is just more customers on your cabinet.  the download speed is in red because it is below the minimum acceptable level shown of 38.57Mbps

downgrading to infinity 1 should make very little if any difference in your down speed bu up will be lower

have you been having problems with your connection dropping which would increase your noise margin and drop your speed?  unfortunately you probably don't have the HH5 which would enable you to post your router stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Your estimated speeds are now between 18Mbps and 39Mbps. BT recently revised all the speed to reflect more accurately what customers could expect and that along with more uptake will be the reason for your estimate to be lowered.

The red line is showing because the speed is below the speed checkers acceptable range of 38.57Mbps and 40Mbps albeit you are still within your estimated speed range.

Because you are still within the Estimated range for a Range A and Range B line it is unlikely BT will do anything to try and improve your speeds.

If you downgraded to Infinity 1 your download speed would remain the same as at present but your upload would drop to 10Mbps. The only difference between Infinity 1 and 2 is a software cap to stop anybody on Infinity 1 getting over 40Mbps download and 10Mbps upload if their line could support that, which your dowload can't.

dfenceman
Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Haggini

You may find this of interest :- http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

Best regards,
dfenceman
Haggini
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for all your quick responses. It looks like the best course of action is to 'downgrade' to Infinity 1.

Thanks everyone, have a good Christmas.

Edit: For info - nope, got the old HH3... needs restarting every few days but that's another issue to be resolved with a new router.

NewtronStar
Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

You could wait for vectoring to be enabled on your cabinet before making that downgrade, it's a awaiting game I know

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@NewtronStar wrote:

You could wait for vectoring to be enabled on your cabinet before making that downgrade, it's a awaiting game I know

... or downgrade and then upgrade again when and if it is worth it.