Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tek_architect
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Infinity 2 - Speed Issue - New Customer

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure if you can help but here goes, and sorry for the long post.  I am a new BT customer.

When ordering from BT they estimate your speed you will get, In my case it was 29-41 Meg. In reality, I’m getting just over 25 Meg and have logged a call with them. I’ve signed up to their best package and only reaching what they call a guaranteed minimum of 25 Meg - which contradicts information at point of sale. Ongoing since Saturday 28th April.

Indeed, the Offcom ISP Code of Practice states:

"ISPs must take all reasonable steps to ensure, where applicable, that access line speed information provided at point of sale is as accurate as possible and is updated to reflect any changes to or new information on the line. "

The first person I spoke with after the 10 day training period had elapsed was really helpful and logged a fault after various speed tests as it was below par.  I was in the first 14 days of the contract cooling off period.  An engineer was due to visit a few days later.  This was then cancelled 1 hour later by phone call as they said they had detected a remote fault.  Bascially my call was closed and no speed increase has resulted.  I contacted BT again and the support has been mixed in terms of quality to say the least.  Such as saying they would stay online in a chat window whilst I rebooted my router etc !!  Asking how I was determining my speed - was it wifi, no I was logged onto the BT router and looking at the upstream and downstream sync speed. There was much confusion on the end of the phone when I mentioned this!

I am an IT professional with 25 years experience and have specified and designed a number of LAN, Metro and WAN networks using various products and topologies so I am finding the technical support or lack thereof troubling.

I know in my area I am one of the few who has Infinity as it has literally only became available in the last few weeks since the fibre infrastructure has been installed and activated. The area served is quite small where I reside.  I am less than 2 miles from the exchange and the cabinet is no more than 1.5 miles from the exchange.  I would just like an Openreach engineer to test from the cabinet to the exchange and tell me that this is the maximum I will get or whether there is anything they can do to increase the speed.  The remote support is just fobbing me off.   don't think I am being unreasonable as my purchasing decision was made on the 29-41 meg scale.  Indeed I thought, based on the scale that I would get nearer the upper end, based on distance to the exchange and on the fact that prior to Infinity I was getting near enough the maximum of traditional ADSL.  There is no point in me being on Infinity 2 if all I'm going to get is 25 Meg and I'll need to speak with BT about that if I cannot get a speed increase on Infinity 2.  As logged in 14 day cooling off period I'll need to see about a downgrade at no financial disadvantage to me (as per Ofcom rules) if that it the case.

Anyway, that's my story and if anyone from BT moderates this forum and can help by taking my query seriously then I'd be delighted to hear from them as so far I'm not having a great experience in terms of service levels as a new customer.

Thanks

David

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Infinity 2 - Speed Issue - New Customer

Post the stats from your hub. If hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information 

enter your phone number and post results. Remember delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm

With estimate you were given it was pointless being on infinity 2 as your estimated was less than the infinity 1 max.  Distance from the exchange is immaterial for your fibre connection it is distance from the street cabinet that counts

are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your connection even though you may have a filtered master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
tek_architect
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

I am plugged into the first socket directly behind the External NTE that is on my property.  Newish build - 8 years old.  The external NTE looks like this:

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 22.41.39.jpg

Results are:

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 22.36.53.pngResultsHH Stats say 28 Meg.  BT have done their tests and they say it's just a shade over 25Meg for some reason:

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 22.48.12.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Do you have other sockets in your home also connected back to your external master socket as that will cause star wiring and cause real problems for your broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
tek_architect
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

There are other sockets in the house - that's all I can say with 2 phones and line filters connected.  I have stable broadband - no drops.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Unless your external master was reconfigured then all the sockets will feed back to the external master and can course problem  normally the engineer would change the way master wired to avoid interference from your internal wiring and could easily be reason your speed is below bottom of estimate but about the handback speed  

unfortunately you cannot connect to the test socket to eliminate your other wiring to check if that improves your connection speed

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet apart from announcement and best done with corded phone

jontyrich
Message 7 of 8

Hi David, I wish I was as fortunate as you (although that's not likely to be helpful to you. I'm paying for Infinity 1 and rarely get more than 6.5 speed (small villlage with tiny wiring box a metre from the village pond's edge that the ducks nestle and bask upon in the sun when we get it!!) BT just sent me an email asking if I want to upgraid to Infinity2 (£50+ pcm) for faster speed. Assume the xfer will come from same little 30 year old box. But what do I know?

Jon

0 Ratings
tek_architect
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Hello. Apologies for the delay. That sounds terrible.

Since I raised the initial fault within my initial 14 day contract cooling off period my options will be as per Ofcom code of practice to move away from BT or downgrade to Inifity 1 at no financial disadvantage to me or i’ll contact my MP and MSP who are very interested in assisting. Openreach were the issue getting fibre into the village in the first place and my MP turned an 18 month process from Openreach into 5 months! I’ve already spoken with them on my speed issues already. I’m giving BT until the 15th May as that will be when the last round of line training will have finished - although no improved speed has been observed as expected. I would just like a proper technical response from them. They just don’t appear to be taking it seriously. If there are any BT moderators on this forum then I’d appreciate a response.

Regards
0 Ratings