cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richie58
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT Infinity 2 Speed Slower Than BT Infinity 1 After Upgrade!!

Go to solution

Hi  

I like probably many others have just been lured by a very attractive "Invite 0nly" Broadband Deal. I was currently on an Infinity 1 deal of £10.00 per month for a 12 month contract. I was getting between 40 and 43 Download Speed and around 8 Upload. The Deal was to move to Infinity 2 for £15.00 a month but for 24 months so over all a much better Deal. I fully appreciated I probably would not see an increase in my Download Speed. And also 500GB of Cloud Storage was a nice to have as well.

Well I indeed have not seen an increase in my Download Speed, I have seen a decrease!!! To around 38.

Is there a way I can double check that BT have actually done the upgrade on my line before phoning them? I have used the various BTW ASDL checks but nothing is conclusive. I note my achievable Download Speed is 20 (I am now getting around 9) which may indicate Infinity 2. However my maximum Download Speed achievable shows as 40.18. I thought this should show 80 for Infinity 2 but of course I appreciate my line cannot get any where near this.

I would just say that whilst my Speed has reduced albeit only slightly it has been more stable. The Speed Checker has come back at 38 pretty much bang on every time whereas on Infinity 1 the speed was always fluctuating. Does Infinity 2 offer more stability?

Any help on the above would be gratefully received.

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Infinity 2 Speed Slower Than BT Infinity 1 After Upgrade!!

Go to solution

There is only one product. The difference between Infinity 1 and Infinity 2 is just an artificial cap to limit the speed. The new cap for Infinity1 is 55M anyway. The difference in speed is probably due to a DLM reset of your line when the upgrade took place which removed G.Inp. DLM will probably re-instate this at some point and your speed will recover. Having said that, you will notice absolutely no difference between 38M and 40M.

0 Ratings
Richie58
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for that. I will check my speed in a week or so just to see how it is doing. And you have saved me a current 30 minute wait in the BT Customer Service phone queue!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
Richie58
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi 

Thanks for that. Yes I had used this checker before I upgraded to Infinity 2 and was not sure if it would change as a result of the upgrade. But obviously it hasn't as I now fully appreciate Infinity 2 is not a "new" product. It is exactly as before (Infinity 1) but without the cap. 

Not withstanding the fact that my speed should increase again slightly after the line re-set I do still find it ironic that I am at present getting a lower speed on Infinity 2 than I was getting on Infinity 1. But a deal at £15.00 a month for a 24 month contract for Infinity 2 was too good to miss out on.

0 Ratings