cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brispy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Infinity 2 Speed drop again

My IP Profile has dropped to 68 Mbps from what was originally 78 Mbps and then 74 Mbps. I have tried asking BT why it has dropped but I am hitting the brick wall which is that I am getting more than their quoted speed of 63 Mbps.

I am feeling cheated in a way because people on infinity 1 have been given a 30% increase in speed whereas I have now seen over a 10% drop in speed.

I did change from a HH4 to a HH5 a month ago, I don't know if that makes a difference. I also posted on here in September 2014 when i experienced significant drops in speed.

My line stats are as follows:

1. Product Name: HomeHub5
2. Serial number: 
3. Firmware version: v0.07.05.0A13-BT (Type B) Last updated 27/7/2016
4. Board version: 01A
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 17:13:08
6. Data Rate: 20000 / 70473
7. Maximum Data Rate: 26673 / 84735
8. Noise Margin: 9.7 / 6.3
9. Line Attenuation: 14.9 / 14.9
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0
11. Data sent/received: 599.4 MB / 13.0 GB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes

and from an ADSL check:

**Edited**

I know I am getting a speed better than promised but I as far as I am aware, I am not getting the fastest speed that my line will support since I have seen it support faster speeds for the last 2-3 years.

Can anyone explain to me why my speed is heading in a downward direction towards the Infinity 1 speeds since BT will not. Last time I spoke to the Engineers at the cabinet they said it was full, that was a couple of years ago.

I would also like to know if I changed to another fibre provider after my 18 month contract expires, is it possible that BT could disconnect me from the cabinet then connect another user thus preventing me from obtaining fibre because the cabinet is full to capacity?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Infinity 2 Speed drop again

you cabinet does not show as full looking at the checker result you have posted however changing provider will not change your speeds you could now be suffering from crosstalk due to an increased number of users on the cabinet
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

If a disconnection from the cabinet was to take place due to capacity it is down to Openreach not BT Retail as Openreach operate and manage the fibre network for all service providers
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

If you're within the limit you have no cause for complaint.

If you were an early adopter on your cabinet then very little crosstalk would have been present. As more people take up service, crosstalk will cause a reduction in speeds. It's physics and you can't beat physics until vectoring is deployed (if ever).

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
brispy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Thanks John46, here are the ADSL results without my telephone number, thanks for trapping that whoever it was.

ADSL Check no telno.jpg

Can you tell from this and my posts in September 2014 that the IP profile reduction it is due to increased crosstalk?

The concern over changing suppliers at a later date comes from the problem my sister had when she wanted fibre for the first time, she was told that there wasn't capacity in her cabinet and she would probably get it quicker if she went to BT.

I don't know what happens when you change suppliers, is there a window of opportunity when another provider could get their customer onto a fibre connection during the switchover period?

My next door neighbour can't get fibre with BT and it is exremely probable that they connect to the same cabinet since it is a small cul de sac with houses built at the same time.

I was told my cabinet was fully populated by an openreach engineer a couple of years ago but maybe it wasn't all high speed he didn't specify.

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

@Webby wrote:

If you were an early adopter on your cabinet then very little crosstalk would have been present. As more people take up service, crosstalk will cause a reduction in speeds.

That has happened to me.

I started with an Infinity 2 connection at 75 Mbps, download speed of 70 Mbps and an IP Profile of 72.67.

Over the past three months this has steadily fallen to a connection speed of 55 Mbps, download speed of 52 Mbps and an IP profile of 52.85.

But my second, Infinity 1, line has actually improved over the same period, since BT lifted the cap on Infinity 1.

I now get pretty well the same speeds on Infinity 1 and Infinity 2.

Maybe I should tell BT that I want to pay the Infinity 1 rate for my Infinity 2 line. After all, Infinity 2 may come with 500GB rather than 100MB of BT Cloud space, but I haven't been able to get into that since BT "upgraded" the cloud a month ago.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

@brispy wrote:

Can you tell from this and my posts in September 2014 that the IP profile reduction it is due to increased crosstalk?

The concern over changing suppliers at a later date comes from the problem my sister had when she wanted fibre for the first time, she was told that there wasn't capacity in her cabinet and she would probably get it quicker if she went to BT.

I don't know what happens when you change suppliers, is there a window of opportunity when another provider could get their customer onto a fibre connection during the switchover period?

My next door neighbour can't get fibre with BT and it is exremely probable that they connect to the same cabinet since it is a small cul de sac with houses built at the same time.

I was told my cabinet was fully populated by an openreach engineer a couple of years ago but maybe it wasn't all high speed he didn't specify.  all ports on a cabinet are enabled for maximum speed from the day it is turned on speeds are controlled by sofware speed caps dependant on the fibre package  you order

BT get no priority over any other provider on a cabinet  if you are moving between fibre providers and there is a waiting list in operation then as soon as you place your order a cease and reprovide takes place an the next  customer on the waiting list gets that port and you would then have to wait your turn on the list

0 Ratings
brispy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Thanks Webby, BT are stating the same thing, i.e. I am getting more than their revised 63 Mbps (it was a lower estimate when I first signed up) and that the speed I am getting is good, so as you point out I have no cause to complain.

My basis of complaint would be that Infinity 1 customers are getting a 30% increase in their top speed but as an infinity 2 customer I am seeing a 10% reduction in speed plus there was a statement about how you will get the fastest speed that your line supports in their sales pitch when I signed up.

It probably would have helped if they had explained that the fastest speed your line supports will fall over time due to various factors which they should explain so that we don't get too excited when they exceed their predicted speed.

I am posting here because I wanted someone to explain why I am getting a sudden reduction in the Line Sync speed. It did start off very high for many months, then it dropped by about 4 Mbps but has stayed around that figure for the past couple of years, now it is 68 Mbps which is not a cause for complaint but it is a concern because I do not know whether it is because of crosstalk as you stated or is it due to changing from HH4 to HH5 or some other factor. I was under the impression that the cabinet was full and as such the speed should have stabilised, maybe this is not the case.

If the speed does fall below 63, then I have concerns based on this snippet of conversation with a BT advisor, name removed:

Chat Advisor: Your minimum grantee speed is 54 mbps
Chat Advisor: The speed you are getting is more than your point of sale spee
Me : I thought you said that was 63!
Chat Advisor: You were promised that your will get 63mbps and your are getting 68mbps
Chat Advisor: that is very good speed
Chat Advisor: You are getting more than what your were promised
Chat Advisor: You were promised that you will get minimum of 54mbps and maximum upto 80mbps
Chat Advisor: You are getting 68 when you were promised 63

If it drops below 63, will I get told my limit is 54?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

looking at the checker results you have posted your cabinet is not full as already posted your problem is most likely caused by crosstalk
0 Ratings
brispy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Thank you very much John,

Have I correctly understood your response?

If I changed to plusnet in 18 months time and this cabinet is fully populated and there are people waiting for fibre, would I then be put in a queue thereby losing fibre until I moved back up to the top of the queue.

Or put another way, if I want to keep fibre broadband and I know the cabinet is fully populated is it advisable not to switch in these circumstances?

What happens if you want to downgrade but stay with the same provider because the difference in speed between the two packages is diminishing?

Do you think that the lower speed package would be less affected by crosstalk or would it be about the same?

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings