Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeG1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT Infinity 2: Speedtest results 1/3 lower then IP profile

Go to solution

Hi

I've had BT infinity 2 for 2 weeks or so now (just moved house). I'm a bit confused as the results I'm getting seem to contradict one another.

On running speedtests I'm getting a consistent max speed of ~45 mb download , but the IP profile is saying I should be getting ~71 mb. Which is also what the BT prediction was.

If this is an issue caused by DLM due to noise/wiring etc then thats fine and 45 mb is fast enough for my needs - but surely that would result in a lower IP profile?

Rebooting the router didn't help and quiet line is test is fine. The speedtest results aren't on wired but wireless N should be fast enough for 70 mb.

Basically is this worth complaining about?

Mike

HH5 stats

6. Data Rate: 19999 / 73601
7. Maximum Data Rate: 26322 / 88480
8. Noise Margin: 15.0 / 6.3
9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 13.4
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

BT wholesale speedtest
Download speedachieved during the test was - 44.53 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-71.24 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 71.24 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.76Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Infinity 2: Speedtest results 1/3 lower then IP profile

Go to solution

The most accurate speed test is done with a wired connection.  Wireless tests can vary a lot. Your Hub stats look fine and are showing that you should be getting 73Mbps or thereabouts which is inline with your IP profile so it would appear to be a wireless problem.

Depending on what type of device you are using you should check that the wireless adaptor drivers are up to date.

You should also check that "smart set up" is turned off on the Homehub. see link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Some devices have a problem with the Homehub dual band having the same SSid (name). Try giving the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies different SSids. Just add a 5 to the end of the 5Ghz SSid so you know which is which. Check the 5 GHz Sync with 2.4 GHz: is set to NO.

Once you have done that "forget" the connection on your device and then restart the device and log onto both the SSids if the device can use both frequencies. Not all devices can use 5GHz.

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

0 Ratings
MikeG1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Hi

I did consider that -according to windows the wireless is running at 72mb. That said its an old adaptor that doesn't do dual band.

Good idea though - once I've located a 10m cable I'll test that and report back.

Mike

0 Ratings
MikeG1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Hi

Yep - wireless issue.

Bought new dongle with dual band and getting the full 70mb.

0 Ratings