Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tomo28
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

BT Infinity 2 Traffic Management/Throttling in the evening

Go to solution
Hi,

I have had Fibre broadband for almost 3 weeks now. It is a brand new fibre cabinet on a new build estate.

Most of the time I got speeds of 67.5mb, however I noticed starting from 17:30 it started to drop and the ping and jitter would increase. Between 8 and 9 these speeds would be as low as 5mb. The speeds return to normal at approximately 11pm. I raised this with BT and I was assigned a case manager. Two engineer visits later and there has been no fault found. I have even been moved to a different port which didn't improve things. In fact it made it slightly worse as my max speed now is 65mb but I won't whinge about losing 2.5mb.

In my router settings even during the 17:30-11pm window when the speeds slow down it says my router is receiving 68.86mb.

I had a call from my case manager today saying we can't fix this as there is no fault its due to traffic management and instead of me paying full price for my broadband they kindly put me on a new customer rate. I questioned that on the BT website they do not throttle customers. The reply was but in the small print it says peak times do not count.

Is this correct and there is nothing I can do about my poor evening speeds?

It is worth noting the upload speed is never impacted it is also a solid 20mb.
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT Infinity 2 Traffic Management/Throttling in the evening

Go to solution

The case manager was talking absolute tosh of course. It is not due to traffic management, it is most likely due to congestion on the backhaul network. BTWholesale should be aware of the problem from their monitoring systems and taking steps to add capacity. The fact that your are syncing at a high speed indicates the problem is not between you and the green cabinet.

Can you carry out a speedtest at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ when the speed is slow and when the test completes, run the further diagnostics.

0 Ratings
Tomo28
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply.

The openreach engineer spoke to someone over the phone while he was here, they looked at my line statistics over the past week and said it was performing better than expected. From your knowledge/experience do you expect Wholesale are still aware and are looking to sort it?

I also had a test for rain but I didn't have anything causing that issue.
0 Ratings
Tomo28
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution
Will do, it has started to drop already I am at 40mb now. I will do it in one hour when it's usually at its worse.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Hi @Tomo28

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your post!

Sorry that you're experiencing slow speeds at peak times.  This does sound like a congestion fault.  Which exchange are you connected to and I will check for any known issues? (although may need your details to check for sure).

Let me know the exchange you're connected to first of all and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,

Robbie

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

The problem isn't with your line which is the only thing Openreach can look at, it is in the backhaul network.

If you complete the speed test as requested earlier, the result will be logged on BTWholesale's servers and will help to identify the problem.

Edit: Robbie posted as I was typing.

0 Ratings
Tomo28
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution
Hi @RobbieMac

My exchange is Balby and the fibre cabinet is 31.
0 Ratings
Tomo28
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution
@licquorice

Oki doke. Just about to eat my dinner, after that I will run the test and report back.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

@Tomo28 wrote:
Hi @RobbieMac

My exchange is Balby and the fibre cabinet is 31.

Hi @Tomo28

Thanks for posting back with the info I had asked for.

I checked your exchange but nothing obvious stands out.  That's not to say there isn't an issue but I am going to need your details to see exactly what SVLAN you're connected to and make sure it isn't over-utilised (congested).

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you.

Cheers,

Robbie

Tomo28
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

@licquorice See below speed test results. In another 30 mins or so I will be in the low 20s.
Speed test.PNG

0 Ratings