Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twinkleandpop
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

BT Infinity 2 and extension socket

Hi all

I have had a read through the site but cant seem to find anything that directly answers my question so I am hoping you can help!

I ordered BT Infinity 2 and was due to have it activated yesterday (7th March), I plugged the Home Hub 5 into the socket that my old router (non BT) was in and the light on the front goes to orange after it has run through the various start up cycles.  I have tried a factory reset as well as a normal push the button on the top of the hub reset as well as an unplug and leave it for a few minutes reset all resulting in the same orange light.

I had a webchat with BT earlier and they have said that I need an engineer visit and the next available one isnt until Friday 11th so will have a frustrating 4 days at least without Broadband.  Anyway, I was looking at possible problems that it could be and it struck me that the socket I have plugged the HH in to has just a plain faceplate.  The pictures that I have seen of master sockets they normally have a line accross the middle or have 2 plugs?  Our one just looks like a standard BT socket like all the others in the house.  We bought our house from new and the builders had wired the house for the phones and all phone points were in situ before BT came to connect us. 

If the socket I am currently using is not the master socket would that explain the orange light on the Home Hub?  IN other words would the home hub work at all if it is plugged into an extension socket?  There is another socket in our study which could potentially be a master socket but it is behind an antique very large very heavy dresser.  I can move the dresser to check the socket but dont want to go through the hassle if my problem is not being caused by me having plugged the hub into an extension socket.

Really hope someone can let me know if plugging a home hub into an extension socket would cause the Home hub light to go to orange.

Thank you

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT Infinity 2 and extension socket

If the old router was working in that socket, the HH5 should also work albeit possibly not at the maximum speed possible. It sounds very much like your service has not been activated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

Are you getting dial tone on your phone, when you plug it into the microfilter?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

infinity will worki in an extension socket depending on how your internal sockets are wired.  if wired correctly then all sockets will be conencted back to the master socket and as long as not an SSFP  like this then should work   in extension socket with filter  

fibre SSFP.jpg

if you have an SSFP socket then broadband will only work in SSFP

do you have a master like this  test socket.jpg

or do you have a external master like this  external_NTE_1.png

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
twinkleandpop
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

My old service (that was disconnected on Monday morning) was just normal broadband and not fibre, does this make a difference?  I also suspect that I have simply not been activated but I did get an email from BT at 9:30 last night to say that it had been activated and the webchat person didn't say anything about why it was not working just that I needed an engineer.  If it is just an activation issue do I need an engineer?  I really dont want to get to Friday and the engineer say that there is nothing he/she can do as it needs to be activated by BT and I have to spend the weekend broadbandless.

Both of my children are out of the country at the moment and my only contact with them is via facetime/imessages and I get little or no mobile signal at home.  Really worried about being out of contact with them for the weekend.

0 Ratings
twinkleandpop
Beginner
Message 6 of 18

Yes I get a dial tone, I used the landline this morning without a problem.

0 Ratings
twinkleandpop
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

I dont have any sockets that look like any of those pictures.  All of our sockets look like this:

http://bt.custhelp.com/rnt/rnw/img/enduser/main_socket_types_2.png

The only one I cant be sure of is the one behind the dresser in our study.  I just didnt want to go to the trouble of moving a very heavy piece of furniture to look at it if it was unlikely that my issue was the lack of master socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

I would put money on your service not having been activated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

@twinkleandpop wrote:

Yes I get a dial tone, I used the landline this morning without a problem.

If you have a microfilter plugged into the socket, and the home hub 5 plugged into the microfilter, then it should work, unless there is a problem with the provision.

A visit will prove whether its correctly connected through the Infinity cabinet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

if the socket behind the dresser is not where the openreach cable enter from outside that is unlikley to be a master socket.  the master is first socket where openreach cable enters your home

certainly sounds like not activated yet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings