cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twinkleandpop
Beginner
Message 11 of 18

Re: BT Infinity 2 and extension socket

Is there any way I can get them to activate my line without an engineer visit?  I really dont want to wait until Friday afternoon (the earliest appointment available) if it is something that can simply be done by the back office.  I am stressing out about being out of contact with my children and my husband was meant to be working from home tomorrow as he has a dentist appointment but now cant as we dont have any internet. 

Would phoning the help line and explaining that it looks like an activation issue work do you think?

0 Ratings
twinkleandpop
Beginner
Message 12 of 18

none of our sockets are on an outside wall so I have no idea which one would be the first.  The one that the hub is currently plugged in to is in the hall but on a wall that backs onto the downstairs toilet, the one in the study (behind the dresser) is on an internal wall between the study and the dining room. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 18

If your previous router worked in the socket, there is no reason why the HH shouldn't.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

Hi @twinkleandpop and welcome.

I'm sorry the Infinity hasn't been connected yet. I can appreciate how frustrating this must be but @licquorice and @imjolly sound right on this. It looks like the order hasn't completed so your best bet would be to hold out for the enigneer visit to get it sorted on Friday. If there are any problems after that post back and we'll be happy to step in.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
twinkleandpop
Beginner
Message 15 of 18

I need a moderators help to escalate my broadband issueq

I posted a message on Tuesday about my BT infinity 2 service and a query about my master socket. Things have now moved on following an open reach engineer visit yesterday. It turns out that the cabinet in our village although enabled for fibre does not actually service any of the houses in our village but is for the next village some 2 miles away. The engineer was very confused as the village it services already has its own fibre enabled cabinet! All that being said there is not much the engineer could do other than apologise. 

I got straight on to BT to request a standard copper broadband connection as it had been a week since our old service was disconnected in readiness for the fibre service which didn't exist. The call centre said we needed another engineer visit and booked this in for Tuesday 15th. I was not happy as I can't think why we would need another engineer to come out to enable a standard copper BB connection. I called back today and was told by the call centre guy that the engineer was coming to enable the cabinet to fibre! I explained what the engineer yesterday said and told him I want standard broadband enabling now and if the engineer manages to find a way to give us fibre on Tuesday I will just swap over when possible but I was not prepared to go without any connection until Tuesday.  The call centre guy then said that the engineer was actually coming on Tuesday to enable our standard broadband! I asked why in the space of 5 minutes the reason for the engineer visit had changed from enabling fibre to enabling a standard connection and also asked why we would need an engineer visit to enable us to get standard broadband that we had up until a week prior. The call centre guy could not answer so we finished the call no further forward.

i raised a complaint via web chat that then went to a phone call and was told that although I may not get any internet for over a week it's ok as I will receive compensation! I pointed out that compensation is fine BUT I need a working broadband connection and please can they just enable broadband for me while they sort out the fibre issue with openreach. I was told I would need a whole new order raising as it was for a new service.. Fine.. However the standard time for activation seems to be 5 working days so no connection until 21st March!  I am livid but have hit a brick wall please can anyone suggest something or who can I escalate this to? I am job hunting and need a working internet connection as we don't get mobile reception and can only access the Internet by going into the near side town and using a cafe internet which is dire at the best of times.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

Re: I need a moderators help to escalate my broadband issueq

Hi @twinkleandpop Sorry things didn't go as they should and you have no broadband service. 

We'll be happy to step in and help you with this if you send us your details and we'll get to you as soon as we can. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
allofthecornishes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 18

Re using BT Infinity with existing extension sockets.  Basically don't!

BT itself states that any existing telephone socket cannot be used with BT-I -

What's the difference between my telephone home extension wiring and the BT Infinity Data Extension ...  The max length is 30M and its FoC 

For engineer visits see this http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37208/~/do-i-need-a-special-faceplate-for-bt-infinity...

If you need the router anywhere than alongside the House Master socket (that's the first one that the incoming BT line connects to) then you'll need one of these http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37163/~/what-is-a-bt-infinity-data-extension-kit%3F  This basicaly is a thin UTP network cable connecting between the master socket and a new HH socket.

Be prepared to have an argument with the installer especially if they are third party (ie not OpenReach) who'll say that using the internal phone extension wiring is ok.  After 3 failed installs by a third party an OpenReach engineer installed the data extensions cable and the router works fine - ie rock steady and stable on both ADSL2 and VDSL2

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 18

Internal phone wiring is fine for infinity. Doesn't need special cabling. Do you think the other few hundred meters of cable from the cab to your home has been changed from bog standard telephone cable to cat5??