cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 3

BT Infinity 2 dropped connnections.

On the 26th of July, I finally bit the bullet reporting a fault with my Infinity 2 connection having had random dc’s for a week.

I talked through steps taken to eliminate any internal issues within the property, and a broadband engineer was booked for Tuesday which would cost if no fault found. The next day a call informed me the engineer had been cancelled having identified an external line fault and was to monitor connection for 48 hours. Three days later back to dc’s, performed a power cycle lasted another 2 days. Called again more tests, and another line refresh, swap LAN ports, and monitor. The connection again lasted two days reported again tests, another refresh, split the Wi-Fi, monitor the engineer won’t come out unless a minimum of 10 dc’s. Lasted less than a day, called same result.
On 4th of August checked the router logs 7 dc’s during the night 15 in total before I called again usual checks, resulted in an external fault being identified engineer booked. Just for the record already had something like 80ish dropped connections since the 4th of August.

Well 2nd fix time came 7th of August, line engineer came to the house unable to find a fault externally though never went up the pole. Checked the wiring in the house finding no issues he replaced the old NTE/MK1 Infinity combo with a NTE5C/MK4 VDSL combo for good measure. He toddled off to the cabinet saying the line would for down 5 minutes while he performed more tests 30 minutes later the line and broadband was restored.

10th of August experienced a couple of dc’s during the early morning, stable for around 12 hours then another dc. Contacted support to report still having issues, again the usual refreshes line some tests can’t find a fault and monitor till Monday. They would call back on Monday, and if I’m still having problems an engineer would be booked.

11th of August several dc’s during the day, on one dc was able to pick up the phone while the orange light was flashing. Heard a crackling on the line which disappeared after the broadband connected. Another dc this time same again yet this time the phone line went dead and stayed dead for 10-15 minutes, but the broadband stayed up though it did dc a couple of times while the line remained dead. Called support and reported a line fault the usual couldn’t find a line fault, after nearly an hour of tests and several calls back an engineer was finally booked free of charge again.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Infinity 2 dropped connnections.

Todays engineer visit cancelled, they found another fault in the external network.

For good measure they cancelled my recontract they couldn't find the offer package. Perhaps this is a message we've been with BT over 45 years, and over 8 years since we moved to Infinty Opt 2 from Demon.

0 Ratings
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Infinity 2 dropped connnections.

Well nothing was fixed yesterday suprise, suprise BT customer service hadn't a clue when I phoned up, and asked them what was happening.
But today an engineer did show up which I was not expecting, and suprise found the fault was up the telephone pole a loose connection.

Talking to the engineer I was lucky to have had a visit from him as it had been diagnosed as an external network fault with an indeterminate resolution time. If it had been a fault in the house then they would have turned up at the appointed time.
It begs the question of the compentency of the earlier engineer who visited, he certianly did not do the same line testing the later performed I not even certian he actually knew how to switch on test gear.

0 Ratings