cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colin79666
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT Infinity 2 - loss of speed/IP Profile

We recently took advantage of the offer to renew our contract to lock in 2017 prices and around the same time I noticed a drop in performance. I have tried all the usual things - rebooting router (I use an Asus RT-AC68U) and OpenReach modem, unplugging other devices etc. but that didn't help.

Today I have run the BT Wholesale line check and it stating the ip profile is 59.8 Mbps:

Capture.PNG

This looks wrong to me. I know our speeds were better until around mid December. When we got Infinity installed years ago our line was syncing at 80 Mbps. How do we get this sorted as right now we are getting not much more than Infinity 1 speed for the Infinity 2 price?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Infinity 2 - loss of speed/IP Profile

can you post some stats for your connection

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

enter phone number and post results  remember delete number   http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
colin79666
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Tried the test thanks, no noise to be heard.

Availability checker:

AVAILABILITY CHECKER.PNG

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

can you post any stats?  your current conenction speed is within the estimated range but at bottom end

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
colin79666
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

No stats as I have the separate openreach modem (we got in on Infinity early). 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

without any stats you cannot tell if your connection speed is near your attainable with normal noise margin or is much lower than attainable with higher than normal noise margin

0 Ratings
colin79666
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

The fact the profile changed right around when we recontracted seems rather suspicious, although I appreciate it isn’t proven. My upload speed in particular is down 40% on what it used to be with the same equipment. It may technically be within the tolerance threshold but that doesn’t make it acceptable to me (new contract was based on continuing with the same service level). 

As as there are other threads on here of people with similar issues it does rather point to a BT process issue and not just a sudden change to the quality of our line. 

Im hoping a BT representive will see this and be able to investigate further. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

I'd there no information in your router - connection speed, max attainable, connection time etc otherwise how would you know anything about your connection 

0 Ratings
colin79666
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Right went out onto eBay and aquired a HG612 modem. From a bit of research our cabinet is a Huawei unit but our modem (supplied by BT at install) was an ECI that doesn't provide stats to the user.

Stats below from the new modem:

pbParams-20180118-1952.jpg

Looks like the IP profile has picked up a little so headed in the right direction (appreciate this can take several days).

2018-01-18 ip profile.PNG

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

From these stats you have an attainable speed of 62mb and an actual connection speed of 61.3mb with noise margin of 3.2db so I can't see from that there is any scope for faster speed. Your download speed is good for your attenuation

0 Ratings