cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
estarolas3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Infinity 2 speed dropped 20Mb/s in 2 weeks...

My BT infinity connection was established 2 weeks ago and initially I was attaining speeds of 75Mb and was quite stable. Two days after the connection was set up, my phone connection stopped working although broadband worked fine. I called BT which promptly sent an engineer to repair a fault in the line. At the same time, I noticed that the broadband speed had decreased do ~68Mb. Then every day after that, the Home Hub would reboot (usually overnight) and the connection speed would drop by a small ammount. As it currently stands, it reports 54 Mb which is a reduction of more than 20Mb over the initial value.

Is there anything that can be done at this point to bring it back to normal/prevent it from slowing down further?

New Bitmap Image.jpg 

I just noticed something in this diagnostic that is quite strange. My home hub registers as having rebooted during the night (about 4 hours ago), while I was sleeping, but it has already downloaded 72 GB since then. That cannot be right as I just turned my computer on 30 min ago!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
estarolas3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Infinity 2 speed dropped 20Mb/s in 2 weeks...

A bit more info:

New Bitmap Image.jpg

So this shows the potential of my line goes up to 80 Mb which was what was estimated when I ordered and approximately what I had for the first couple of days of broadband service. However I am now sitting at 53 Mb and if the trend continues it will be even lower tomorrow. Please help.

0 Ratings
estarolas3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

I am sorry but I must insist.

Still no improvements to the connection. I can literally see the cabinet from my back window (it cannot be farther than 100 m. And the dsl speed checker still states the potential of the line to be 80Mb.

How much noise can be introduced in the line in ~100m? I am more inclined to believe that a fault in the line is causing the slowdown, but right now I don't have the time to wait on the phone for BT customer service. If a moderator cannot pick this up, at some point I will have to, but given my previous experience with the service installation in the first place, I would really prefer not to have to go through the same ordeal again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

This is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go to BT although the forum is moderated by BT not every post is read

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
estarolas3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Thank you.

I have just tried the quiet line test. I don't really know what to expect, but all I can hear is a quiet background buzz. Is that normal?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

Noise on the line indicates a fault.

Try the automated line checker https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
estarolas3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Just did what was suggested. The automated line checker reported no faults in the line. The broadband downstream speed is still at 53Mb/s, and has been for the past few days, so at least it is not decreasing anymore, but that is still far away from the initial 75 Mb/s, in a home 100 m from the cabinet...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

as no faults and connection speed outwith your estimate then see if mods can investigate  they will post a contact us link 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
estarolas3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

I will await their post offering help then.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Hi estarolas3,

Thanks for posting. The key here is stability. Once DLM picks up the line is stable it will automatically increase the profile but will take longer than normal ADSL broadband. If you don't see any improvement over the next week drop back and we'll look into it for you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings