cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT Infinity 2 speed halved

I haven't been watching my speeds for a while so not sure when they dropped but this morning I did a test for the first time in a while and was shocked by the results.

Normally I sit around 50-55mb down and 12-13mb up but right now I'm getting 18-25mb down and 5-9mb up. I have done the usual thing of rebooting my modem and router to rule those out (I signed up with HH3 and just replaced the hub a couple of years ago with a TP-Link).

speed test.jpg

Further Diagnostics worked once this morning but every time I have run it since it gives me an error stating:

You appear to have not logged on as speedtest@speedtest_domain. In order to run the next test you should login as speedtest@speedtest_domain.

exchange.jpg

I expect exchange congestion again but would like to be sure.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Infinity 2 speed halved

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Please avoid rebooting your hub and modem as you can make matters worse
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

If you have a separate modem and hub it is only the modem you should avoid rebooting constantly as it may cause DLM to interpret it as an instability fault. Rebooting the Homehub would have no effect on DLM.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

The line is quiet, no line faults.

I have only rebooted the modem once in months, the uptime on the router was 27 days before I restarted it and indeed as they are separate rebooting the router should have no impact.

Speed has increased slightly to 26mb but still massively lower than expected. I see my profile has dropped into infinity 1 range, should maybe contact BT and get them to drop me down to that if they cannot keep me on a profile I'm paying for.

Got a further info test to run again:

further.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

unless we can see any router stats it is impossible to say what is wrong and as the modem is locked and that is were the data needed is it is not going to help
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Indeed, I was disappointed how poor the setup was with HH3 + modem when I moved to BT to begin with. Been tempted a number of times to just bite the bullet and get one of the newer HH's just to get some decent stats. Just hard to justify when new customers get a free hub and loyal ones get asked to pony up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Do not buy a Homehub 5 or a Smarthub. If you are going to spend good money buy a decent third party VDSL modem router. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Your speed is well below the IP profile showing in the speed test. This would tend to indicate either a congestion issue or a fault somewhere on the line.

Can you do another speed test at non-peak times, ie after 11pm or early morning  and post the results to see if things improve.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

I plan to, Just did a speed test that hit 40.90Mb and ping has dropped to 37 which is still a bit high but tolerable. It's gone from 10 - 15mb all morning to 40mb over the past few hours and fluctuated heavily.

I expect congestion myself as I said in the initial post, just frustrating as I can only really use it during peak times and weekends.

As for a modem / router what would be best? I'm on a TP-Link TD-W8980 right now but it's getting a bit long in the tooth and seems to be struggling with the number of connected devices in the household these days.

0 Ratings