cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LawrenceB32
Message 1 of 23

BT Infinity 2 speeds no faster than BT infinity 1

Go to solution

This is a bit of a long story, but please bare with me.

We had BT Infinity 1 installed around 4 years ago and from day one we have had download speeds around 33/34MB's and upload speeds of 6MB's almost constantly. I knew we would likely not get much better than that under BT Infinity 1, as we were almost on the edge of the edge of the exchange area.

After about 18 months, my son said BT Infinity 2 was coming to the area and we called BT to enquire about it. They said it would be available in the near future and they signed us up for it, and said as soon as it was installed they would move us over to it. Almost two years went past and we still did not appear to get an increase in speed, even though BT Infinity 2 was clearly shown on our bill.

A couple of weeks ago my son called BT to find out why our speeds had never been increased and also to enquire about the free on-line BT sports. Why this was not automatically given to us, I still can't fully understand as new BT customers get it straight away? Anyway the BT rep we spoke to in the billing section (somewhere in India) informed us that he could sign us into a new 12 month contract and increase our speeds by possibly 10MB's more (he did some speed tests on our line), and reduce our monthly bill by around £7 to £8 a month. Eventually after asking many questions we agreed to this, but a couple days later, I wished we had not bothered. The reason was due to the fact that the BT Infinity 2 speeds are no different to the speeds we have had from day one when BT Infinity 1 was installed.

I've ended up spending ages on the phone to India again, arguing the point that I believe we have for 2 years paying for a product we have never had and asking for some sort of refund. They say it's a fault on the line and we should have told them sooner. Well I think a company like BT should have also been aware and been pro-active in contacting us and telling us we were paying for a product that we clearly were not getting.

It's really sad that our relationship with BT has soured. I have to say in 4 years there have only been a couple of occasion's when the line has gone down or programmes played on the BBC I-Player having buffering issues.

We still have the BT 3 version B hub, so I don't know if that's part of the issue? There is no way now that I would pay BT £50 for the Hub 5. I still am puzzled as to why I'm getting almost the maximum limit under Infinity 1 and no more under BT Infinity 2.

Hopefully some BT technical guru will take pity on us and try and see if our line speeds can be improved and re-store our faith in BT.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: BT Infinity 2 speeds no faster than BT infinity 1

Go to solution
Can you post back the results of this checker editing out your phone number

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
Infinity 2 is available at all exchanges as soon as fibre are activated at an exchange your speed is controlled by your distance from the street cabinet once you post the information asked for we can tell you if infinity 2 would increase your speed
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution
bt sport had to be requested it is only recently been added to packages
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

Infinity1 and Infinity2 are exactly the same product, fibre to the cabinet and then copper line to the house. The difference is an artificial cap on maximum speed of 38M for Infinity1 and 76M for Infinity2. If your maximum speed with Infinity1 was 33/34M, that is all it will be with Infinity2.

Edit: If the only reason you opted for Infinity2 was increase in speed, then it was mis-sold.

0 Ratings
LawrenceB32
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

John, regarding BT sports, it would be nice if BT looked after their loyal customers of many years standing and not just enticing new ones. I can understand having to call up to have it on your TV via a youview box, but via the Internet only option, should be given to all BB customers by default in my humble opinion

0 Ratings
LawrenceB32
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

John, if that is indeed the case, why have they tied us in to a new 12 month contract apart from a reduction in our monthly costs. I'm feeling very miffed with BT now.

0 Ratings
LawrenceB32
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

John, Sorry just saw your comment about being mis-sold the product. Yes I only wanted it for the extra speed I was hoping to get.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution
can you please post the results of the checker i posted the link for
0 Ratings
LawrenceB32
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

John, I did paste the results a few posts ago. Let's try again

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)46.133.1106.6--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)3922.4104.8--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3.5--2 to 6Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1 ----Available
Fixed Rate1 ----Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand33030--Available
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution
The speeds you can achieve is between 22.4mb and 46.1 mb to be honest there is no point in upgrading to infinity 2 as there is only a 6mb speed increase
0 Ratings