cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Draxxia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity Availability - Glencaple Exchange

In the last couple of weeks my local exchange (Glencaple, Dumfries) has been upgraded and BT Infinity is now available in my village (Bankend). Hurray!

BT have contacted me 3 times (email, postcard & letter) inviting me to sign up for Infinity which I am very eager to do given that my present BT service only guarantees a measly 1 Mbps connection. Unfortunately, when I try to do so I am told that it is unavailable.

After making several (frustrating) enquiries to BT I was eventually told that the local cabinet (located about 250 yards from my house) is full and they are unable to tell me if/when the cabinet might be expanded.

Is this expalnation actually plausible? The cabinet is brand new and I enquired about Infinity on the first day that I was advised of its availability.....................could all those connections really have been taken up so quickly? It felt like a fob off.

So what is actually going on? Is there any way that I can get a full explanation about its (non)availablity, plans for expanding the service and a reliable indication of timescale. The last BT call handler, whilst being polite and doing his best to help, was unable to offer me any real clarity and his best advice was to be patient, to wait & see and to contact BT periodically for updates.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity Availability - Glencaple Exchange

Can you put your telephone number into here http://dslchecker.bt.com and post a screenshot of the results please.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Draxxia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Hello Webby,

Screenshot as requested:

Screenshot (54).jpg

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Infinity is currently not available to you
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Is it showing available for other neighbours?

If so, it's likely a database issue.

If they all show the same then again, it could be a database issue.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Draxxia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

A near neighbour (300 yards away but with a slightly different postcode) already has it up and running.

It seems pretty clear that, for some reason, I can't get it. The real frustration is that BT seem to be deliberately vague, almost to the point of obstructiveness, about what the (real) issue might be and if or when it might be resolved.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

BT do not have that sort of information just like ever other service provider all the database information is in Openreach's hands
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

It's possibly a database issue.

This perhaps needs moderator intervention.
0 Ratings
Draxxia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

The Openreach availability website reports that "Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet". And it goes on to say "This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options". Whilst not explicitly saying so this hints that a faster option might not be too far off.

Openreach descibe themselves as "A BT Group Business" but I presume that, because they are now a legally separate entity from BT, there are strict limitations on the information they are able to share.

Thanks to the contributors above who took the time and trouble to comment 🙂

0 Ratings