cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rahat786786
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT Infinity 'Coming Soon'

I have been wanting BT Infinity for ages; with the belief that it would never be in my area I renewed my 12 month o2 contract at a cut price. I just checked the BT Infinity checker by entering my phone number and it says 100MB download and 15MB upload 'Coming Soon'.

Does anyone have any information on this? Have BT started rolling out 100MB broadband yet? 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Infinity 'Coming Soon'

With BT there are 2 types of Infinity fibre optic cable installations.
The one most of us are on at this time is FTTC [the cable from the exchange to the cabinet is fibre optic,but the line from the cab to our homes is normal copper [40Mbps down/10Mbps up].
But the other one,FTTP [fibre to the premises] is fibre optic cable right into the homes [on trial in some areas][100Mbps down/15-20Mbps up].
So it looks like your area is going to be installed with FTTP,when it`s done.

0 Ratings
Rahat786786
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a WBC Fibre To The Premises technology with an estimated Broadband downstream line speed of up to 100Mbps and upstream line speed of up to 30Mbps.

Our records show the following network service information for your premises:-
Single Dwelling Unit Residential
OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

What does this mean? When will i roughly be able to use this service? As of yet I still see no fibre on the telephone poles... 

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

Not being in the very fortunate position your in...... my checker was nothing like yours.

But this is the way I would interpret your results.-

"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a WBC Fibre To The Premises"

NOW you could have a fibre connection direct from your premise/property to the exchange. Hence the high 100Mbps download figure.

"Single Dwelling Unit Residential"  

Not business, Not tower block just a normal  house= Easier to install cable to.

OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

Looks like a provisional survey of the area/street may have been done and the fibre cable will be supplied to your premises via telegraph poles... Over Head Cable feed.

As I understand it the FTTP trials have just ended (1 Nov) so looks like Bt are releasing the FTTP product.

I'd phone BT sales and enquire.... as there would be a lot more work involved getting the cable directly to you they will need to get a commitment before doing that work I suppose.

Good Luck you lucky lucky person... slightly envious I am Smiley Happy

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Rahat786786
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the info, but there are still no fibre cables on the telegraph pole and the checker on the bt site says 'coming soon'
0 Ratings
mptheus
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

See thats weird, I have got the fibre tubing on my telephone pole but whenever I use the wholesale/infinity checker with my phone number it doesnt even mention fibre/fttp, or I get the generic not available message.

Anyway I dont think you will have to wait too long.

0 Ratings
Rahat786786
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

I called up BT today and they said i can go on trial with the 100mb product! I got everything sorted and go live is 21st November. Can anyone tell me how the trial service is?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

Trialists are not able to post on any public forum. All trial results are for company information only. When you get your kit you will also have a non-disclosure agreement.

This is not just with BT but any company when conducting trials as they do not want company sensitive information released.

Anyone found out to be doing so would be removed from the trial and not offered any further trial.

No-one in this case can answer your question.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
meman887
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

@Rahat786786 wrote:

I called up BT today and they said i can go on trial with the 100mb product! I got everything sorted and go live is 21st November. Can anyone tell me how the trial service is?

Also you stated and quote "I renewed my 12 month o2 contract at a cut price." If I understand correctly from the terms and conditions in regards to 02 (much like Be* which I'm on), expect to pay for the remaining 11 months unused Broadband with them (however an early termination fee doesn't apply though unlike with BT).

Guess no one bothered to tell you that in regards to renewing contracts?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Motto:
Going to kill my HomeHub 2 very soon. Smiley Happy
0 Ratings
Rahat786786
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Yes mate I am in contract with O2 but since I am a loyal customer they have given me 12 months free broadband so not too bad. BT said they can install the fibre line and I'll still retain my o2 service. The engineer came today and fitted the box outside my house and now I'm just waiting till the 21st November to go live. The fitting took long, he came at 8am sharp but finished at 2 30pm roughly so not quick lol.

Anyways I'll just keep you posted on the speed I get.

Also I was wondering if i can take up BT FTTP product when it releases as they say I can still keep my O2 net while on the trial and since I'm paying nothing for O2 I could spend that money on FTTP. 

0 Ratings