cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TDF
Message 1 of 6

BT Infinity Fault - "server overload has caused damage to the wires in your bt home hub"

Hi All,

We've had Infinity 2 for a number of years now, generally very happy with very little issues. Last night tried watching 4OD and it was a nightmare, subsequent speed test showed download speed at 1.5 Mbps, but upload speeds happily 15-20 Mbps (download has always been 35/40 Mbps in the past)... okay obviously a fault we thought.

Left it overnight and still the same this morning so ran the online trouble-shooter which identified a problem ("between the exchange and your hub") and launched a chat. Chat went pretty standard (usual tests etc..) and the guy finally came back and said something along the lines of (I didn't save the transcript - wish I had!) "The system is telling me a server overload has caused damage to the wires in your bt home hub, I've ordered a new one".

New hub ordered and we went about our business. Then realised I had a spare HH 5 from a previous issue, I plugged it in, reset it and ran speed tests again - still getting a max download of 1.5 Mbps! Jumped back on chat to explain I don't think it's the hub at fault, and was repeatedly told to speak to the "BT Plus Technical Team" via phone - slightly annoying, nothing worse than starting a chat and being told to phone up, no acknowledgement of the issue or inconvenience from previous obviously nonsense advice of wires damaged in the hub. Ended up calling 150 and getting through to faults team at Newcastle, can not fault the guy I spoke to he was excellent and arranged an engineer while acknowledging there was no way the chat person could have known wires were damaged in my hub (a credit to him as I think he knew this was rubbish but was trying to remain professional!).

Engineer now arranged for Friday (next time anyone is off work) so now have a week of 1.5 Mbps download speeds to look forward to! We also have BT TV and as of this morning the players and apps seem to have given up saying no internet connection (presumably the speed) so no on demand TV for a week either!

Anyone else had similar issues with download speeds suddenly dropping like this?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Infinity Fault - "server overload has caused damage to the wires in your bt home hub&quo

Welcome to this user forum. @TDF 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

The "server overload damaging your wires" reply is a load of rubbish.

0 Ratings
TDF
Message 3 of 6

Re: BT Infinity Fault - "server overload has caused damage to the wires in your bt home hub&amp

No noise that I can hear from the silent line test on 17070

Been running a few speed tests out of curiosity and download fluctuates between 560 Kbps and 3 mbps with the average being around 1.5 Mbps. Oddly upload still sitting happily at around 15 Mbps.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Re: BT Infinity Fault - "server overload has caused damage to the wires in your bt home hub&amp

More importantly what is your connection speed? Can you post the stats from the HH.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 6

As you are using the HH5 the stats are located at Troubleshooting/helpdesk.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Re: BT Infinity Fault - "server overload has caused damage to the wires in your bt home hub&quo

Hi @TDF  and welcome.

I’m sorry you’ve had so many problems trying to get this sorted. Being asked to call in while on live chat certainly isn’t a great experience. You’ve mentioned an engineer visit has been booked for Friday, hopefully that will get the problem sorted. Can you please post back and let us know how it goes?

In the meantime would you mind posting your stats as requested by the other members?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings