Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
antinchester
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 30

BT Infinity Fibre Broadband Keeps Dropping

For the last 2 months I've had a continual issue with BT's fibre broadband dropping it's connection on a regular basis. To the point where it's unusable.

I've had 3 engineer visits to try and rectify the problem.

- They check the internal wiring and it's fine.

- They check the line and it's fine.

- They check the speed and it's what's expected

- They tinker with all the bits they can tinker with

The problem rarely shows up when the engineer is on site and for a brief time afterwards it's stable. But low and behold a few days later the connection keeps dropping again!

I've had a new master line box installed by one of the engineers, I've had a brand new smart hub but still the issue persists! The new smarthub has the latest firmware and everything. I spent over an hour reconnecting my 17 wireless devices to it!

I've worked in internet technology for 20 years so know a thing or two, so to prove I'm not mad I've taken logs, screen shots and run speed tests that record the result to BT's own systems. Hence the weight of evidence is irrefutable. The connection drops!

Every time I raise fault, it seems to get closed saying that I said the problem was resolved... Nope, Nope, Nope, No I most definitely didn't.

I have yet another open fault. The nice lady insists the problem is at the exchange. I think by now I could have told them that! By conclusion this points to a BT Equipment failure... surely?

Please, please, please BT fix it this time.

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 30

Re: BT Infinity Fibre Broadband Keeps Dropping

if  you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.
   http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Can you post back the results of this checker editing out your phone number

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com 

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 30

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 30

Thought of a third party router?

0 Ratings
antinchester
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 30

Thanks for the responses guys. I've spent many hours looking at the routers technical log...

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 18.48.54.png

0 Ratings
antinchester
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 30

The Homehub 6 isn't all that bad. I've had quite a few routers over the last 15 years and they seem to last about 2 - 3 years before needing an upgrade.

I've been on fibre for 6 years using Home hubs. This is the first time it's dropped so often. Even repying to this thread it's dropped twice.

I got given a new smarthub by BT yesterday, you'd hope their technology at the exchange would be optimised to work with it! But the new hub is having the same issues as the old one.

0 Ratings
antinchester
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 30

If I had to guess I'd say it's a dodgy fibre port or equipment at the exchange. That would be BT's equipment rather than Openreaches.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 30

Openreach own and operate the fibre network not BT
0 Ratings
antinchester
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 30

Openreach do own the network, but what that network is plugged into at the exchange is controlled by the Local Loop provider. So if you are with BT you use BT equipment, if you are with Sky, you use Sky's equipment at the exchange.

The line to your house is identical in all cases.

Unike all other utilities where only the billing systems and customer service are different, the LLU does have different tech between you and the wider internet.

The overall physical network is probably the same, but there might be some advantage in a provider that chooses to use better equipment at the exchange.

Sky for instance trys to get higher speeds from better quality lines by normalising to a lower noise margin 3db rather than BT 6db, although I read that BT are going to follow suit soon. 

It's possible this may be the cause of my particular issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 30

For ADSL yes, however, Openreach wholly own the network used for FTTC. BT Wholesale's ADSL DLM now utilises a lower target margin where suitable and has done for. Few years.

VDSL (which BT call Infinity) is supplied from the cabinet, owned by Openreach.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings