cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: BT Infinity Hest Bank, Lancashire: Speed Expectation Query / Improvement suggestions?

Go to solution

the distance from the street cabinet is probably walking/driving distnace but that may bear no relationship to how the actual phone cable runs from the cabinet to the home and it is most likely further than that - unless you can see it on poles from cabinet to home which is unlikely

everything is estimates based on certain criteria especially line quality so who knows how good your line is or how long it is actually

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
kohai
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 18

Re: BT Infinity Hest Bank, Lancashire: Speed Expectation Query / Improvement suggestions?

Go to solution

Thanks again @imjolly!

>how the actual phone cable runs from the cabinet to the home and it is most likely further than that - unless you can see it on poles from cabinet to home which is unlikely

I'm told by a neighbour today that they share a junction box* with my parents property, which is just over the wall from a field behind them. From there the cable continues underground to my parents house. 
*I presume a BT66 Block Terminal / External telephone junction box(?) but I'm going to find it later and take some  photoss.

Before that they believe it's is a mixture of underground, on poles and the cable lying on the surface apparently. 

Is this something I could flag to BT to investigate do you think? It would seem concivable that the problem is the quality of the wiring from cabinet 4 to the junction box.

Anecdotally if I compare[1] our expected speed results to say the Brookfield Surgery down the road (a local public phone number I can find quickly), we're both in the Hest Bank exchange, served by different cabinets (3 and 4), but the expected speed difference is significant (+200% see image below).

Of course this could (and is likely to) be due to the proximity of cabinet 3 to Brookfields (I can't tell exactly where cabinet 3 is..) but is it possible that the issue isn't the distance but actually the quality of the wiring from cabinet 4 to my parents and their neighbour? 

Cabinet (4) connecting parents and their neighbour 's premises distance*: 1,096m
Cabinet (3) connecting Brookfield Surgery LA5 8DH (LA5 8DJ) distance*: 2,198m
**from BT ADSL exchange, as the crow flies (not the cabinet to the home).

***accepting that these distances may bear no relationship to how the actual phone cable runs from the cabinet to the home, or from the exchange to the cabinet.

[1] http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

**Edited**

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

please delete your phone number as this public forum and you may get more unwanted calls than you can handle

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

as you say that is a different cabinet to you but what really matters is the proximity to the actual street cabinet then line quality as no 2 lines are the same

Openreach will not be interested as long as phone is working ok and there are no problesm with your calls

kohai
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

Hi, it wasn't my phone number but thanks for being proactive. I didn't expect it to be a moderator issue as the phone number posted was a local doctors surgery with a phone number that is advertised and publically available (a quick google finds it). I'll make sure any future post redact information like that regardless.

I'm getting the feeling I'm trying your patience here (not intentional) and I should just get the message that this is down to the distance from the cab. From my (admitidly naive) perspective it just felt like such a huge discrepancy between what's available locally and what my parents are getting that I'm not quite ready to give up hope yet!

Again, thanks again for your advice so far, I'm going to source a wired telephone and do a quiet line test next, just to see if that's an contributing issue, but it would seem this is just the distance...

There's a Spar on the main road and a Wedding Cars company both served by cab 4 according to the dslchecker: -

cab4-stats.JPG

Parents' actual speed is 14.84Mbps down (after fitting a new master socket MK4 faceplate), 1.25Mbps up.

Spar

spar-cab4.JPG

Wedding Car company

Wedding-Cars-cab-4.JPG

Parents

parents-cab4.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

The problem with VDSL (Infinity) is that the copper infrastructure was never designed to carry the frequencies involved. Its not really terribly productive trying to compare speeds locally as distance and cable quality make a huge difference in speeds. A reasonable comparison would only be to compare a close neighbours line fed from the same pole with  the same length of span between pole and house as that would have virtually the same characteristics. As @imjolly has already mentioned, if the problem is due to the quality of the cable, Openreach will do nothing to improve it if the phone is working OK.

kohai
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

Yeah I get it, it just seems unfair that they are paying so much and getting relatively poor speeds in comparrison to those around them (likely paying the same), so anything I could do to improve things for them I wanted to try.

Just connecting to the test socket yesterday and now with the new faceplate today increased their download speeds to from 9.30Mbps on the upgrade day yesterday (old faceplate), then 13.56Mbps (test socket), now 14.84Mbps (new MK4 faceplate). I guess that could just be the line stabilising but I'm not going to risk reverting to the old faceplate now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

That's good. At least your efforts are showing positive results