Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
elbeasto
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

BT Infinity Installation worries and questions

Hi Everyone

I am having BT infinity installed in just over a week.

Having read about the master socket being crucial I have a few worries about the installation.

My master socket is in the living room and while there are electrical sockets there it is slightly impractical to be having a long electrical cable ran to the master socket permanently. Not to mention the fact that there is nowhere the equipment could be placed either.

At the moment my HH3 is running of an upstairs phone extension and is in the room where my computer is and ideally I would like the BT infinity equipment in the room where the computer is as the placement of both phone and electric socket make it much more practical this way.

Is this going to be an issue on installation day or if I tell the engineer where I want the equipment wiill he be able to make it happen?

Thanks

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: BT Infinity Installation worries and questions

The engineer should be able to make your extension socket your master socket. Just ask him, if its a BT engineer it will probably be done without question but a contractor engineer may say it can't be done. Don't be fobbed off insist that it is moved.

Once it is all set up check that any telephone extensions you may have are still working before the engineer leaves just in case they are disconnected.

elbeasto
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Thanks

I don't know if it will be a BT engineer or a contractor. I have read in a few places that the enginners are normally pretty good at working with you to get things how you want them.

I understand the master socket being important but I think BT need to be flexible with regards to placement of equipment. I guess if the engineer doens't want to do it I will have to send him packing and cancel the order!

It says on the page they won't go under carpets would it be an issue if I put the cables under the carpets myself once he has gone?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

If you already have an extension socket I believe he can just use the existing cable. If not then yes you can place the cable under carpets if you want. Just be aware that the cable can become damaged if constantly being walked on.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 24

"Under the carpet" shouldn't mean crossing a room. You should be quite safe putting a cable alongside the gripper by the wall, making sure that the cable (or your finger - it hurts!) doesn't contact the metal points. The extra length won't make any difference to the connection.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
elbeasto
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Well the engineer turned up today.

It was a sub contractor. That seemed to have no interest in setting infinity up for me because it was not going to be a five minute job. Told me it would have to be set it up next to the master socket. Would not entertain anything else. Which I was not prepared to allow them to do.

Our current hub is where it is because of wireless coverage for the house.

All in all a waste of a Saturday.

Thanks to everyone who replied to the thread I appriciate all your help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 24

So what will you do - book another appointment?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
elbeasto
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

To be honest I'm not sure yet as we have not discussed it yet and I am a little dubious of wasting another day with a booking.

BT have been informed that the installation could not go ahead my main concern was the fact I would be charged for an infinity service when I am just using a normal broadband connection.

At the end of the day we are trying to pay them for another service and my area can now get infinity so I would hope that BT will want more of our money and will provide us with the service. If not I'm sure someone else will.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 24

Yes you probably will be charged
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
elbeasto
Contributor
Message 10 of 24

BT were quite good and appologised when we called them. They also offered to send one of their engineers to do the job rather than a contractor so we accepted and rebooked.

Hopefully the job will be done this time.

0 Ratings