cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

BT Infinity Issues

I have just moved to BT after being with SKY for last 6 years with their FTTC product.

With SKY my line was stable, synced 39999/9999 and disconnected maybe every 180-300 days.

This is the kind of thing I am getting when it drops

07:01:15, 16 May. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
07:01:09, 16 May. PPP: Stopped PPP daemon(0,1,5)
07:01:09, 16 May. PPP LCP Receive Termination ACK
07:01:09, 16 May. PPP LCP Send Termination Request (User request)
07:01:09, 16 May. PPP: IPCP down
07:01:09, 16 May. PPP: LCP down
07:01:09, 16 May. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=43739kbps, Up Rate=9152kbps; SNR Margin Down=5.1dB, Up=5.9dB

With BT since install its dropping daily, sometimes twice, and at random times of day or night, router logs show it seems to be the router requesting the disconnect, or their management system. Also their management system reboots my router every 14 days when its in use or not!

Router I have is the latest smart hub type b

I reported a fault with it first day I got it, they did not even contact me or anything and shut the fault off.

Left it a while thinking maybe was due to DLM settling down on line etc, reported another fault tried to do it online, but their CS person left the webchat, tried to do it again via webchat, second CS person went through some stuff, got disconnected again, he called back,  tried to tell me it was wifi issue, and offering free wifi extenders to fix (wifi not enabled on router, I use wired connections for everything). He refused to aknowledge problem with disconnections even tho the router clearly shows it in the logs, then he said putting through to second line, and promptly hung up on me.

Logged a complaint about this with their complaints system, no reply been 7 days now.

When I was with SKY had no issues like this, the call centers were UK based, they didnt lie or hang up  on you, and if you reported a fault they dealt with it, not refused to log it or do anything about it.

So now I am stuck on an 18 month contract which disconnects twice a day, reboots my router every 14 days when its in use, and worst customer service of any company I have had to deal with.

Worst of all I have a broadband connection which is unreliable and unusable for anything that requires a connection to be stable.

Any ideas how to get BT to fix this, raise the complaint or do something to get it working again?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT Infinity Issues

post the stats from hh6 advanced settings then technical log information

try connecting to the test socket with a new filter and see if that helps stability - even if you have a filtered master socket

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Router info :

Firmware updated:Sun Apr 15 00:43:58 2018
Board version:01
DSL uptime:0 days,04 Hours21 Mins54 Secs
Data rate:9.152 Mbps / 43.739 Mbps
Maximum data rate:8.949 Mbps / 50.269 Mbps
Noise margin:6.0 / 5.9
Line attenuation:30.8 / 23.1
Signal attenuation:30.5 / 21.3
Data sent / received:137.6 MB / 2.4 GB
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:No
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-xxxxx
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
5 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-xxxxx
5 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:Default
MAC address:xxxxxxxxxxxx
Software variant:-
Boot loader: 0.1.6-BT (Fri Sep 9 10:05:09 2016)

------------------------------------

The socket is a master socket 5c mk4  - (need to find a filter before i can test this)

Tried the quiet line test seems like there is a low level noise in the background, like a little buzzing, but hard to hear, could just be the phone I use to call it.

broadband.jpg
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Ok these are the stats after I removed the front plate of socket, and used the filter supplied with router.

Firmware updated:Sun Apr 15 00:43:58 2018
Board version:01
DSL uptime:0 days,00 Hours00 Mins18 Secs
Data rate:9.062 Mbps / 43.987 Mbps
Maximum data rate:9.262 Mbps / 51.051 Mbps
Noise margin:6.2 / 6.1
Line attenuation:30.8 / 23.1
Signal attenuation:30.6 / 21.8
Data sent / received:0.5 MB / 8.3 MB
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:No
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-xxxxxx
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
5 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-xxxxx
5 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:Default
MAC address:xxxxxxxxx
Software variant:-
Boot loader: 0.1.6-BT (Fri Sep 9 10:05:09 2016
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

so stats in test socket very similar to master socket  while in test socket check quiet line test again by connecting to filter and if you still hear the noise then you need to report a phone fault to 151 NOT broadband  get rid of noise and broadband will be better

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Well I called them up told them about noise on the line,first of all they said it was an issue with internal wiring, then I explained there was no internal wiring, just one master socket fitted on the wall where the cable enters the property.

The line is only used for broadband and nothing else, no other phones or extensions, then they said oh no fault with the line and they would check it and call me back in an hour, they never did, seems to be usual service from BT so far...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

Wsorry but you need to be more insistent and persevere otherwise you will get fobbed off again. Really need to get rid of the line noise before connection improves

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 20

Hi @patrickg,

I have been reading over your posts and want to say that I'm sorry that you haven't had the service you expect. Have you been able to report a line fault? If you need my help, please let me know.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Well after 2 months of this issue, logging a complaint they never responded too, closing faults I logged online/via the phone without doing anything (as their system does not show a drop, yet router does, and internet does drop) an engineer visit who could find nothing wrong, they finally sent a replacement router, smart hub type a, had a type b before, stable for 23 hours so far, but lower speeds, and the max speed the router says it can get dropped over 10mb in one night, and showing these stats now.

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 23 Hours 31 Minutes 6 Seconds

Data rate:

9.99 Mbps / 41.60 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

11019 / 39799

Noise margin:

6.3 dB / 1 dB

Line attenuation:

22.7 dB

When I ordered I was told max 55mb, line should do 52mb on package I get.

I think the issue is with the firmware on the router/incompatibility issue with the other end of the connection and the hardware in the router personally.

Never had any issues with previous isp on same line with differnt sort of router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

your down noise margin is far to low at 1db and more than likely will drop connection especially as evening approaches

are you using test socket with a filter?

is there any noise on quiet line test?

from previous stats and dslchecker results I don't think you are going to get 50mb connection speed

0 Ratings