cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonny3
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity Lag and Disconnections when another computer uses Internet

Hello, I have had BT infinity since the 28th of January and love the new found speeds I now have. However whenever my sister uses the internet for Netflix and other on-demand streaming services my connection on both my laptop and more importantly my Xbox drops out and I get disconnected. 

This to me shouldn't happen especially on an infinity line. I am on Unlimited Infinity 1 + Calls as the maximum speed for my line would be just over 40Mbps so going onto Infinity 2 would have been pointless.

Information on my home setup:

All devices are connected wirelessly - NOTE - I know that a wired connection would help but this is not possible due to distance between the router and my room. Also I think this is just a cop-out answer, it shouldn't just disconnect when another person uses it even on wireless.

There is a total of 4 devices that can connect at any one time but usually only three - The Xbox, My laptop and my sister's laptop. 

The disconnections happen whenever my sister uses streaming services even at 2:00am like today which is what has brought me to this forum.

Any advice and answers would be greatly appreciated.  

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity Lag and Disconnections when another computer uses Internet

Is it definitely your sister's laptop causing the problem? If the other 3 devices can co-exist, that would be a strong pointer.

If wiring is out of the question, would homeplugs provide a better answer?
Or a new router?
Or a new laptop for your sister?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
jonny3
Message 3 of 7

I don't think it is just my sister's laptop causing it I think its the fact she is using things like Netflix at the same time as me playing xbox. I had thought about those Powerline Adaptor's if thats what you mean by "homeplugs", but it would require me to put an long ethernet cable through the ceiling into the room above and do it from there as there would be no other way due to the location of my router. 

Would that be okay?

Do these Powerline Adaptors give the same speed and reliability as a wired connection?

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

@jonny3 wrote:

I don't think it is just my sister's laptop causing it I think its the fact she is using things like Netflix at the same time as me playing xbox. I had thought about those Powerline Adaptor's if thats what you mean by "homeplugs", but it would require me to put an long ethernet cable through the ceiling into the room above and do it from there as there would be no other way due to the location of my router. 

Would that be okay?

Do these Powerline Adaptors give the same speed and reliability as a wired connection?

There is no need to install ethernet cable with homeplugs, as that's the point of them.

The major benefit of powerline networking is that users can easily establish a network using a home's existing electrical wiring as the communication medium. There is no need to drill holes in walls or ceilings to route new wiring and, as a result, installation is quick, easy and relatively inexpensive. Powerline networking is an easily accomplished networking method for AC-powered devices, which by necessity must already be near power outlets.

0 Ratings
mrnumbskull
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

I don't think that you mentioned how many of these devices are using the wireless, is it all of them?

The bandwidth available on the WiFi connection itself (the radio signals local to you), let's say it's 54Mbps, is a theoretical maximum with best signal strength and quality. Now divide this by how many devices are accessing at the same time...

If the router is 'N', then all of the devices would need to be 'N' to take advantage of the extra bandwidth. If some are 'N' and some are 'G', you may find the AP (Access Point - the WiFi bit of the router) is operating in 'G' mode, which would limit it to 54Mbps anyway.

0 Ratings
GJD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I had a similar problem with the router being a long way from my PC, and I was initially sceptical of powerline Ethernet, but I bit the bullet and bought two plugs and a gigabit switch, and now have five devices running in my office upstairs at the back of the house connected via the powerline networking to the router downstairs at the front. Works a treat. Well worth looking into, in my opinion.

G.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 7

NO

But as others have said, in most situations they work pretty well, often much better than wireless.  Go for 500Mbps ones, not 200Mbps; they are not nearly as fast as the headline figures suggest.

0 Ratings