cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfkadvrt
Message 1 of 3

BT Infinity Master socket ADSL/Telephone extension/slave socket

Hi,

I have the BT Master socket with new MK2 faceplate in the corridor in my house. There is a power socket there and the hub (HH5) works okay. As it's quite far from my living room (about 3 walls away), I have slower connection for my PS4 over WiFi. I was thinking to have a slave socket in my living room as an extension to the master socket so that I can run Ethernet cables to my TV and PS4. I need the telephone line in this slave socket as well.

As I was searching for answers, I came across sevaral posts and websites that says if I have a MK2 faceplate I can extend the ADSL connection using the IDC connector in the MK2 faceplate. I don't want to pay the hefty £120+ fee for an engineer visit as there are Cat5e cables already running through my walls to all the rooms including the living room.

My questions are:

1) Is the IDC connector in the MK2 faceplate suppose to be a connection to an ADSL extension?

2) Is it legal for me to make the connection my self to a new openreach box as a Slave using IDC connector in the MK2 faceplate?

Many thanks

Tags (5)
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Infinity Master socket ADSL/Telephone extension/slave socket

1) it is an unfiltered connection
2) yes

If you use the extension as a telephone extension as well, then you will have introduced a bridge-tap on your line which could impact your speed.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Infinity Master socket ADSL/Telephone extension/slave socket

It won't impact your speeds. Also not really a bridge tap that would effect the DSL signal.
0 Ratings