Did you mean: 
minsterman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity Modem No DSL Light

Go to solution

Hi,

I wonder if you can help me.

My fibre broadband has worked fine since it was installed nearly two years ago.

I used it late on Sunday night and it was working fine, but when I got up early yesterday morning it wasn't working. The Home Hub Mk4 is showing a steady orange light and there is no DSL light on the Openreach Modem.

I went through switching things on and off with no joy, so rang up BT in India. They had me again switching thongs on and off with no joy and the chap said he would ring me back later in the day which he did. As it was still not working he said he would escalate the problem.

He also said that if an engineer attended and found the fault to be with my equipment I would be charge £125.

The thing is though; If it is the modem that is actually faulty is this classed as my equipment or is it BT’s equipment? I ask as I see there are a lot of these modems for sale on ebay etc? Are these in effect BT property that people are selling, or do they (and me) own the modem?

I don’t want to be charged £125 for an engineer visit to be told I need a new modem and then have to buy one. I would rather just buy one from ebay etc and not pay the £125 to BT if the modem is classed as ‘mine’.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity Modem No DSL Light

Go to solution

If you are still in contract then the equipment is covered so no charge for engineer.

0 Ratings
minsterman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Hi,

Yes, I re-contracted in February for another 12 months, so I take it I am covered?

Thanks
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Yes, get the engineer booked.

0 Ratings
minsterman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thankss pippincp.

Well as per the text I received this morning from BT saying that someone would be ringing me between 12.45pm and 1645pm today, I hastily rearranged things, so I could be in for their phone call.

As I probably expected, no telephone call was received!

I gave them a bit of extra time (an hour extra) and then rang BT in India again. After all the preamble an Indian chap called something like Daniel looked at the notes and said someone should have rung me this afternoon. I told him that is what I was ringing about as no one had rung me and I wanted to know why. He said it was still open and nothing had been done - so that is all right then I asked? No response.

He then insisted I had to go through all the switching on/switching off Home Hub and Router again (he wouldn't tell me why I had to go through all this again only that he had to 'do some tests' so what was the point of yesterday's tests I wondered).

Anyway over an hour later he agreed I needed an engineer to visit (Yippee). Someone will ring me back in 10 minutes he said.

Fast forward to two hours later and yippee someone did ring from BT again in India. After asking whether I had any pets (yes a very small cat) an engineer slot has been booked for me between 0800hrs and 1300hrs on Friday 4th September. I even got a text to confirm the appointment.

Am I confident the engineer will attend on Friday? Sadly not. In fact I will be really surprised if one attends (it took over six booked visitis and each time no one turned up to get Inifinity installed in the first place) so my confidence in BT is pretty low.

I may be wrong and a shiny BT Openreach van and man may be here on Friday morning I just my lack of confidence in BT's system are proved wrong.

I will keep you posted.

Pete

0 Ratings
minsterman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Well another development.

I got a telephone call last night from BT in India to say an engineer had found a fault at the local telephone exchange and would be fixing it by 8.00pm today (Thurs). They were also cancelling the planned engineer visit on Friday.

I wasn't confident to be honest.

Anyway, I have just got up this morning (Thurs) to find all the lights on the modem on, including the DSL light. My fibre internet is back online and seems faster than it was before this fault happened. Speedtest download 38.0mbps, upload 8.63mbps (which are both faster than before this problem occurred).

So I will chalk this one off as fixed.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Good to hear.

0 Ratings