cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveNI1979
Expert
Message 351 of 496

Re: BT Infinity Northern Ireland

How close do you have to be to a cabinet. Looking at the website http://www.nibroadband.com/availability.html my cabinet is ready but on the adsl checker nothing is available. I am 0.9miles by road to it.
0 Ratings
reme8488
Aspiring Expert
Message 352 of 496

Not really sure, but as far as I kow you're not getting Infinity unless you can get a predicted min of 15 mbit downstream.  One of my brothers lives just round the corner from me and can only get a predicted speed of 13 mbit downstream, so no Infinity for him.  My line's exactly 547m to the FTTC cab.

Kind regards... Tom

BT Infinity2:
0 Ratings
DaveNI1979
Expert
Message 353 of 496

This sucks, I'd be happy with 3or4mb, never mind 15
0 Ratings
Nelix01
Aspiring Expert
Message 354 of 496

Just because BT Reatil don't offer sub 15 meg speeds dosent mean that another provider won't do it for you!! I believe that Retail will be offering something later this year.
reme8488
Aspiring Expert
Message 355 of 496

I'm sure that I read somewhere (possibly ThinkBroadband) that Aquis are supposed to be/about to be offering sub 15 mbit FTTC connections.  Once BT have a proper handle on Infinity I'm sure they will also roll out another batch of FTTC products for those who can only get lower speeds and also at some point higher speed products for those of us able to get full speed.

Kind regards... Tom

BT Infinity2:
0 Ratings
culchie
Beginner
Message 356 of 496

I have phoned BT and they said I can receive Infinity at a max speed of 12mbs. My neighbours who are literally 10 yards opposite me (basically the width B road), can receive a max of 36 mbs. My mind boggles as to why this is the case. Can anybody enlighten me... the BT girl said something about being the end of a line, but I'm not quite sure what she meant.

0 Ratings
Nelix01
Aspiring Expert
Message 357 of 496

In some cases the estimates have been know to be way off the mark and actual speeds are much better.

Gazz380
Aspiring Contributor
Message 358 of 496

From Enquiry.nibroadband@bt.com

"Line test calculations are frequently carried out and line speed estimates will always fluctuate by small amounts. No method of estimating line speeds will be 100% accurate but we have no reason to suspect that our current method is grossly inaccurate.

It is possible that you will get greater speeds via your current ADSL product, compared with the fibre product. That does not mean that the method of estimating speeds is incorrect, the fact is that these are different technologies and they deteriorate at different rates over distance.

Regards"
Now i had stated that my FTTC was calculated at 6.2mb previous, so my response was
"I understand that the it is impossible to be 100% accurate, however my estimated adsl speed according to BT is 2mb, i currently receive the full 8mb with fairly low signal degradation. so i would imagine that a 6 meg gap is fairly inaccurate. i have also had contact with openreach stating that the most likely my line is underestimated in regards to FTTC."

It annoys me that on one hand, Openreach are saying one thing while BT blindly deny it! JUST SORT IT!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Gazz380
Aspiring Contributor
Message 359 of 496

HAHA, just as i was typeing that i had the infinity page loaded to try my number again,

26.1Mb download
5.9Mb upload

Hmm Well .. i believe your calculation of 6.2mb was "grossly inaccurate"

0 Ratings
justme23
Message 360 of 496

I got a phone call from BT about the new package for sub 15 meg FTTC, has anyone else heard anything about this yet as it isn`t on the main site?

I was told that usage would be unlimited (within reason of course), and that it cost £25.99 per month.

My estimated speed is 7.2meg, but as i`m already getting between 5.5 and 6meg with ADSL max, I doubt that it`s correct.

0 Ratings