Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grayner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 65

Re: BT Infinity Not Avalible

Go to solution
The cabinet has been on a road that's existed for more than 13 years.

It servers around 300 homes ish..

I've argued with BT for hours about this.

I think the issue it that there is no power on the road side anywhere where they can fit a cab for fibre.

I've emailed the council and am waiting for a reply as 2mb isn't a viable internet connection in 2014..
0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 65

Go to solution
If there's no power then you might be in for the long haul, I've known cases where the local electric co have demanded upwards of £5k a year to provide power to a DSLAM... Naturally Openreach told me to do one!
0 Ratings
grayner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 65

Go to solution
There will soon be a wireless solution for the area around cabinet 35.

This will provide fibre speeds to people in the area. Without the need for phone lines.

Costs will be announced soon. But will be similar to BT line and option 3 fibre.

Testing is currently taking place.

Would this be of interest to anyone.
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 14 of 65

Go to solution

Who is the wireless provider please ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
grayner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 65

Go to solution
As soon as I can say I will. But it's being installed by a local company. So not big multi nationals involved.
0 Ratings
philthemoat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 65

Go to solution

The area across the road appeared to be marked for a fibre cab, last summer.  You could clearly see the cab footprint and a +ve and -ve drawn. Its now overgrown and faded.  

I will be inertested in a wireless solution.  

0 Ratings
Monkfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 65

Go to solution
Grayner,

Just came across your post and I am wondering if you have heard back from the council yet?

I am due to move to the area in December (osprey drive/hedge sparrow road) and have just been told by on openreach that I am connected to cabinet 35, meaning slow internet connection!!!!!!!! Looks like the whole of the latest crest development is connected to it which isn't going to impress a lot of the residents!!!!

Also where is your address as I may be interested in utilising your high speed wifi if your close enough. If not could you send me the details of who is installing yours and the approximate cost.

Thanks
0 Ratings
het_uk
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 65

Go to solution

If standard Wifi kit (so 2.4GHz and 5GHz) is used, unless there is a point-to-point link installed for each customer you'll not see anywhere close to Option3 speeds due to the half-duplex nature of Wifi's transmission protocol.  Even if a 300Mbps 5GHz radio link is used for each customer that's not what you'll see in terms of data throughput at each client-end.  If you do the maths you're more likely to see somewhere around 135Mbps at best (in a lab environment with no outside RF interference).  Once you add more users the service degrades considerably, especially if traffic like HD video-streaming is used on the link.

You may be better off comparing it to Infinity Option1 in real terms especially once there are upwards of 10-15 users connecting to the same AP.

I'd be interested to learn what circuit will be connected to this solution.  I'd hope it's not just a FTTC circuit that would usually be connected to a normal home.  Also, I'd want to be sure that the network being installed (that's what it will be for all intents and purposes) is going to be secure not only in the last-mile between client and AP but also across users connected to the same AP (and other APs if more than one will serve clients).  The last thing I'd want is another user catching all my traffic before it goes to the internet.

Please don't take my comments to be in any way rubbishing the solution; they are meant to be constructive - I have installed a few networks which do exactly this, so I'm aware of the challenges and the risks.

0 Ratings
grayner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 65

Go to solution

Hello,

All customers will be connected by a point to multi-point 5ghz connection. We would aim to not have more than 10 people per trunk to aboid conjestion.

We currently have 4 FTTC connections at different locations, load-balanced together to provide reduancy and fast video streaming as well as fast concurrent file downloads.

All end users are connected using a PPPOE server, which username and password authentication. The backbone of the network is WPA protected with only endpoint stations being allowed to connect via their MAC code.

Once we reach enough people we will be adding a FTTP connection, allowing for more bandwidth and also allowing faster speeds.

If you have any suggestions, id be happy to hear them. Feel free to message me directly to not spam the forum.

Website coming soon...

0 Ratings
Monkfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 65

Go to solution

Grayner,

Will this option be available for use by people on the latest Crest Nicholson development?

If it is then i may be very interested when i move there in December

0 Ratings