cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhisani
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

BT Infinity - Profile / Line reset requested - Info inside.

Hello there. Over the last couple of months or so there has been a lot of work going on in the flats we are in causing some problems power wise and the like which has meant our connection has been reset a lot of times. Now. I presumed that over the course of a few days the speed / pings would start to reduce again. However they haven't. So what i'd like is a line reset as DLM seems to be stuck. We've called time and time again to customer service who pass message after message about, don't return our phone calls or without being rude we can't understand them sometimes. We've spent hours on hold and all we'd like is a line reset. Now I know this would normally be a no no. But with all the power cycles that have happened it really has hit the connection. Less concerned about the sync speed being lower but more concerned about the pings being high and being an avid gamer this is why I wanted infinity.

Please please please BT. I know the line can sustain the lower pings as it did just fine for the longest time before all the power off and on ><

Cheers

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT Infinity - Profile / Line reset requested - Info inside.

Hi Mhisani,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  I feel your pain Smiley Sad

Unfortunately requesting a line reset on an Infinity connection is not something that can be arranged.  Its true on ADSL 1 & 2 we could simply get Wholesale to reset the connection but with Infinity we don't have this as an option.

Generally speaking an engineer can request a line reset but only after a visit and in a lot of circumstances they would prefer to leave it up to DLM to reset things.  If an engineer made any changes to your connection then an automatic reset would be issued.

I appreciate this answer will come as a disappointment but best bet is to make sure your connection is stable and leave it up to DLM to reset.  Unfortunately, this can take some time.

Cheers

Sean

Tags (1)
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 18

@SeanD wrote:

Hi Mhisani,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  I feel your pain Smiley Sad

Unfortunately requesting a line reset on an Infinity connection is not something that can be arranged.  Its true on ADSL 1 & 2 we could simply get Wholesale to reset the connection but with Infinity we don't have this as an option.

While this appears to be the case can you please elaborate on why this is not possible ?

Is there a technical reason or is it political ?

Generally speaking an engineer can request a line reset but only after a visit and in a lot of circumstances they would prefer to leave it up to DLM to reset things. 

This also appears to be true but why ?

If an engineer made any changes to your connection then an automatic reset would be issued.

I have had an OR engineer visit and he may or may not have made changes to my line but I was told he had requested a reset that does not appear to have happened.

I appreciate this answer will come as a disappointment but best bet is to make sure your connection is stable and leave it up to DLM to reset. 

My line is very stable in that I have had no disconnections from the exchange other ones caused by a few power failures over a 12 month period. Despite this my IP profile has been capped by wholesale that means that I have lost about 30% of my download speed.  I have had no explanation of why my IP profile has been capped. It took around 6 months to get the cap removed manually.

Unfortunately, this can take some time.

Why should this be the case?  If a reset was done manually the DLM would quickly lower the sync rate if this was necessary instead of the user having to suffer a degradation in service for an indeterminate time that is unjustified.

In my case the DLM has only performed as it should have done for about 4 months out of 18. i.e. any small drop in profile has been corrected within a few days.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
McNugget
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 18

Some truthbombs being thrown down here
mhisani
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Then with all due respect. It IS possible. Either an automatic one is sent after a visit or the engineer rings up a call centre to do it. A neighbour had to have it done a while ago. I don't understand why this is such a challenge when DLM is seemingly stuck. We don't ask much other than this. We pay for the best broadband you offer and not being given the option to return the service to the state in which is was. DLM has not shifted anything in weeks and yet neighbours on the same distrubition point (in flats) get better latency than us. Perhaps it's time to look at other possibilities if we're just going to be told to effectively hope it'll get better when clearly it hasn't changed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 18

Its not possible to reset it unless an engineer has fixed a fault on your line. DLM has determined the fastest stable rate for your line based on the statistics it collects. If it were simply reset with no fix taking place then your line at best would return to the speeds that you had before the reset, however it may return to even lower speeds. If there is no fault on your line then it is simply a waste of time and resources that DLM is designed not to incur.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 18

@ray_dorset wrote:

Its not possible to reset it unless an engineer has fixed a fault on your line. DLM has determined the fastest stable rate for your line based on the statistics it collects. If it were simply reset with no fix taking place then your line at best would return to the speeds that you had before the reset, however it may return to even lower speeds. If there is no fault on your line then it is simply a waste of time and resources that DLM is designed not to incur.

While that is how DLM is supposed to work in my experience there is a significant amount of cases where what you say is not correct.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 18

Sorry, what do you mean "isn't correct"? In what way?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 18

I have no wish to get into a slanging match but what you say is not correct in ALL cases.

@ray_dorset wrote:

Its not possible to reset it unless an engineer has fixed a fault on your line.

It is possible.

DLM has determined what it thinks is the fastest stable rate for your line based on the statistics it collects but it is not.

If it were simply reset with no fix taking place then your line at best would return to the speeds that you had before the reset, however it may return to even lower speeds.

You can get a profile drop after a power cut that the DLM thinks is a fault on the line. Resetting the profile with no change to the line does not cause it to drop again.

If there is no fault on your line then it is simply a waste of time and resources that DLM is designed not to incur.

The DLM can be stopped from behaving as it should because of BT Wholesale capping the profile.

I stress again that there are circumstances where what you say is incorrect but you are indicating what should normally happen.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 18

DLM does not reduce your line profile due to a power cut. In the event of losing power, the modem signals this to DLM using a last-gasp message. This is why you should power-down the modem before disconnecting it from the line.

Many people get confused by this as the modem has to resync to implement any changes scheduled by DLM. All they are seeing are previously scheduled changes being implemented.

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings