cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mazoanity
Message 1 of 4

BT Infinity - Recent Frequent Disconnection Issue

Hi, in the past 3 months of having BT Infinity, we've had a disconnection problem which seems to be getting worse and worse.

I'm currently using a BTHome Hub 3 Router and Openreach Modem on BT Infinity, had it for about 6 months now. 90% of the time the disconnects are in the evening, and don't seem to follow any specific pattern in what specific time they happen or reacting to other stimulus such as phone calls or movement around the house. We have a disconnection maybe 2-3 times a day, at worst maybe 5 times in an evening, disrupting watching videos, skype, playing games and generally just being annoying.

The disconnections are basically losing connection to the internet for about 5-15seconds. Sometimes they happen in a row of 2 or 3 disconnections one after the next within a 5 minute frame, but usually they are isolated.

We don't lose connection to the BT Home Hub at any time. The BT Home Hub middle Broadband light usually goes off during these disconnects, however sometimes it doesn't.

The setup is that I'm connected wired to the bt home hub, there are also two laptops connected wirelessly, all devices are affected by the disconnect to the internet, both wired and wireless. The BT Home hub connects to the Openreach Modem, and that connects to a faceplate that extends from the front of the house's intial socket. Everything was connected up by the BT Engineer when it was installed, and nothing has been changed, the connection worked fine for the first 2-3months, with no disconnections at all.

I've called up BT Technical support for a line-test, and they've replied that everything with the line was fine. I've also called 17070 for a quiet test, and I didn't hear any noise.

I've tried closing doors and standing in certain places, walking/running to see if any movement in the house in any specific place might cause disconnects through vibrations, but I've not found anywhere that responds by disconnecting us. It just seems random.

I've also tried resetting/restarting the homehub and modem frequently(leaving it off for a few minuts etc), in case it was getting "clogged up" as it were, with requests or something, that also hasn't worked.

I'm looking for any kind of help or insight into the problem, phoning technical support is very frustrating, and never seems to get you anywhere.

Thanks for reading and your consideration.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Infinity - Recent Frequent Disconnection Issue

what do the modem lights show when the hub disconnects
0 Ratings
Mazoanity
Message 3 of 4

Like the hub, sometimes the Modem DSL light is off and sometimes on when we have a disconnection. Though I'm not 100% sure of this, because I have my computers in other rooms, and so it might only go off for a second or so, and I'm not able to catch checking it in time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

if the modem DSL light is dropping you need an engineer visit there could be a possible line problem or a modem problem
0 Ratings