Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
odwyrpaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

BT Infinity Same Speed As ADSL

Hi,

I am looking for some advice as to how to progress an issue.

I have recently - Monday 8th Sept - had a BT Infinity install completed on a property that is a decent length away from our BT Cabinet. Before the Infinity Install (or Faster Broadband as it is referred to), I was consistently getting speeds of 4.4Mbps DL/0.38Mbps UL on the ADSL service.

Following the Infinity Install I have had speeds of 4.7Mbps DL/0.38Mbps UL. So a slight increase on the DL and absolutely no difference on upload. The BT Engineer (contractor) completed a speed test and advised to expect that the speed would increase as the bedding in period completed. The estimated speed is 7.5Mbps DL/0.8Mbps UL.

On Wednesday I called 150 to explain my concerns that the speed was no different and whether there was anything that still needed to be completed, and was asked to let the bedding in period complete for the rest of the working week and chase up today on 151 Faults if there was still no change.

Playing the game, I waited until this morning and called 151. 2 hours and 2 phone calls later I am being told that although the estimated speed I was quoted of 7.5Mbps DL/0.8Mbps UL is not being achieved, they cannot log a fault because there is a minimum expected speed on their system showing of 5Mbps, and their speedtest of 4.9Mbps shows within tolerance of this (I have completed a wired, only one device connected, test on the http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ website which shows 4.72Mbps). A minimum guaranteed of 5Mbps was not something never mentioned during the sales process.

The feedback from 151 is that they cannot log a fault and to speak to Customer Services on 150 to get the minimum expected speed changed, once this is done to call back to 151 to log a fault. The process here seems terrible, I am effectively expected to act as BT's first line support negotiaiting between their teams to get an issue resolved. 151 couldn't explain why they couldn't change the value - only advising it wasn't possible for them to do - but also not being confident that Customer Services could do anything differently.

What throws me is that I could understand if I were getting the lowest possible ADSL speeds for my line, but they were nearer the top end of what was expected for the distance. However, now I am on BT Infinity, I am receiving less than the estimated speed and less than their minimum (although - apparently within tolerance). Please note that I am now paying MORE for a service that now uses a different technology, but appears to only deliver the same speed.

Could anyone recommend how I get this looked at, without spending another couple of hours going between 150 and 151?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Infinity Same Speed As ADSL

faster broadband is suposed to be from 2mbps - 15mbp.

as you are on the lowest how much was the upgrade price per month from standard broadband to faster (or not as the case may be). 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47740/~/what-is-unlimited-faster-broadband%3F

can you run this and post a screenshot please http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

you cannot compare your adsl speed to the fibre speed as adsl is distance from the exchange whereas fibre is distnace from cabinet.  in addition adsl operates far bettr on copper cables than fibre as can be seen here  fttn-speed-graph.gif

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
odwyrpaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Thanks for the response MrDJ.

In answer to your questions. I had been on the Unlimited Broadband Package @ £16/month and am now on the Unlimited Faster Broadband package at £21/month.

Please find the screenshot from the DSL Checker as requested:

The cabinet is number 16 on Exchange DONCASTER NORTH

Screenshot.png

If it helps, here is a record of an Ookla speedtest from my time on ADSL:

ADSL Speedtest.png

And a second speedtest taken today - this one is indicative of how it has been since the activation of FTTC:

VDSL Speedtest.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 17

If you have a Homehub5, can you post your line stats from the HH5 please? These are in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254

Lines 1-13 will be enough

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
odwyrpaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Thanks ray_dorset. Here are the HH5 stats as requested:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ42231310
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 09/09/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:0 days, 09:31:29
6. Data rate:419 / 4934
7. Maximum data rate:434 / 5065
8. Noise margin:6.2 / 6.2
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 46.6
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 34.7
11. Data sent/received:56.4 MB / 849.7 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 17

£5 a month £60 a year for roughtly exactly the same speed, hmmm let me think.

what ive learnt on here about the chart you posted is you look at the range B (impacted) low reading and thats the max speed you can get. so in other words you are just giving money away. but they always quote you the higher reading so you always think you will get faster.

hopefully they will get infinity to your area soon.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 17

@MrDJ wrote:

hopefully they will get infinity to your area soon. 

Highly unlikely seeing as they have already installed a dslam for that pcp. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 17

really, now thats a bummer.

0 Ratings
odwyrpaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Thanks for the responses from people.

imjolly, out of interest how do you read the graph that you posted? Is that ADSL/FTTC performance from the cabinet or is that ADSL performance over the entire copper leg and VDSL over the copper leg from the cabinet? The reason I ask is because I estimate that my distance from the cab is about 2.5km. The distance from the cab to the exchange is then roughly another 1.6km. I know my performance for ADSL, so just trying to compare the performance estimate for FTTC. (And yes, I know that we don't really know how long the Exchange and distribution legs really are - but I have to try and work with something).

Generally, to those that responded, is the consensus that this is tough luck, I just happen to be the distance away where ADSL/FTTC performance is pretty much identical? My only other question was relating to IP Profile. On ADSL my IP Profile was 4.77, since activating FTTC this value has never fluctuated from this over the course of the speedtests I have completed this week. Could I be capped in some way?

0 Ratings