cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 17

Re: BT Infinity Same Speed As ADSL

Thanks for those line stats - I can see you have a long line from the attenuation.

Your IP Profile is set from your Data Rate (sync speed) and only changes when the modem resyncs with the cabinet.

If you could post the line stats again, we may be able to see what's changed
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 12 of 17

@odwyrpaul wrote:

Thanks for the responses from people.

imjolly, out of interest how do you read the graph that you posted? Is that ADSL/FTTC performance from the cabinet or is that ADSL performance over the entire copper leg and VDSL over the copper leg from the cabinet? The reason I ask is because I estimate that my distance from the cab is about 2.5km. The distance from the cab to the exchange is then roughly another 1.6km. I know my performance for ADSL, so just trying to compare the performance estimate for FTTC. (And yes, I know that we don't really know how long the Exchange and distribution legs really are - but I have to try and work with something).

Hi odwyrpaul,
This graph might be a little clearer.  As you say with ADSL it is the distance from the exchange, with FTTC it is the distance from your cabinet.

FTTC SPEEDS 2.JPG

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 17

@odwyrpaul wrote:

Thanks for the responses from people.

imjolly, out of interest how do you read the graph that you posted? Is that ADSL/FTTC performance from the cabinet or is that ADSL performance over the entire copper leg and VDSL over the copper leg from the cabinet? The reason I ask is because I estimate that my distance from the cab is about 2.5km. The distance from the cab to the exchange is then roughly another 1.6km. I know my performance for ADSL, so just trying to compare the performance estimate for FTTC. (And yes, I know that we don't really know how long the Exchange and distribution legs really are - but I have to try and work with something).

Generally, to those that responded, is the consensus that this is tough luck, I just happen to be the distance away where ADSL/FTTC performance is pretty much identical? My only other question was relating to IP Profile. On ADSL my IP Profile was 4.77, since activating FTTC this value has never fluctuated from this over the course of the speedtests I have completed this week. Could I be capped in some way?

as I said in the post the graph shows the adsl speed based on distance from exchnage to your home where as the vdsl2 speed is based on distance  from cab to your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
odwyrpaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 17

Thanks ray_dorset. I have perhaps confused the issue, unfortunately nothing has changed since the FTTC install.

Pre-FTTC Install (so when I was on ADSL with BT)

DL Speed: 4.48 Mbps

UL Speed: 0.38 Mbps

IP Profile: 4.77

Post-FTTC Install (Completed on 8/9/2014)

DL Speed: 4.62 Mbps

UL Speed: 0.35 Mbps

IP Profile: 4.77

I think I will just speak to Customer Services at BT to see what they can do, if anything. It is the fact that there has been so little comparable difference, and no change whatsoever - neither lower or higher - during this "bedding in" period. It's as if the install was completed but the system thinks it can still only deliver 4.7 Mbps. Perhaps I am just in the sweet spot where the performance via FTTC and ADSL are exactly the same, it just seems a big co-incidence.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 17

Sorry, I wanted to see your line stats again -Can you post your line stats from the HH5 please? These are in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254

Lines 1-13 will be enough

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
odwyrpaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 17

Hi ray_dorset. Apologies, I misunderstood. Please see the latest values below.

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ42231310
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 09/09/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:1 days, 09:56:39
6. Data rate:419 / 4934
7. Maximum data rate:427 / 2535
8. Noise margin:6.0 / 5.9
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 46.6
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 34.7
11. Data sent/received:820.0 MB / 4.0 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
odwyrpaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Another set of data from this morning. I only posted this because for the first time there seems to be a change in Noise Margin. I am not sure how relevant that is on FTTC but may be useful to know:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ42231310
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 09/09/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:1 days, 23:58:33
6. Data rate:419 / 4934
7. Maximum data rate:390 / 2643
8. Noise margin:4.5 / 8.1
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 46.6
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 34.7
11. Data sent/received:1.5 GB / 3.2 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
0 Ratings