cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m77erj
Message 1 of 4

BT Infinity/Smart Hub Poor Speeds

I upgraded to the Smarthub in Jan part of my renewal and my speed/signal was superb constant around 50mb.

now two weeks ago the hub failed, stopped working, engineer visited tested everything confirmed 50mb line speed but hub faulty. so replacement hub arrived, setup and configured settings as per previous hub i.e. smart setup = off and split bands to 2.4ghz and 5ghz. now the speeds never got over 30mb more often than not dropping to 10mb download. so called again and ANOTHER hub sent and tried the same and this hub was lower more than not.

Engineer came again yesterday, he checked everything replaced master socket etc and reset the hub which should have removed the "cap" on my speeds.

Last night I played around with settings on hub to improve speed as was getting around 8mb download.

I now get 50mb on the 5ghz band which is great but only 20mb on the 2.4ghz band?!?!?!

Can anyone help as I am getting nowhere with the engineers or the numerous call centre people I have talked to.................

Should I not split the bands?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Infinity/Smart Hub Poor Speeds

The engineer won't have anything to do with the wireless connectivity.

2.4GHz is typically a more congested frequency so there's more chance of other equipment causing interference.

If you're getting 50meg on the 5GHz channel that proves there's no fault with your connection.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
m77erj
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply Webby.

I understand the line doesnt have a fault as both engineers confirmed the speed at master socket which I accept, and also once BT had removed the cap on speed when the hub had been playing up.

The thing i cant get my head round is why i'm only picking up speeds of 20mb for 2.4ghz band instead of 50mb constant before.

Obviously 2.4ghz is congested but that much to drain 30mb from my available speed?

Appreciate the help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Well yes, it would appear so.

Realistically, does the device you're using on 2.4GHz need more than 20meg? Unless it's streaming 4K content, I would 't have thought so.

Don't get hung up on the speeedtest number. If it's working for what is is used for with the 20meg, then what's the issue?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings