cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 5

BT Infinity Speed Drop - Cabinet Issue or Too Many Users

On checking samknows and bt website today I have noticed a dropped in my speeds recently

Since joining BT in Jan 2012 my speed was always estimated at 69Mbps down but was synced at 85mbps and getting roughly 72-75Mbps, but recently I've now seen that slowly dropping even without the dsl dropping and currently it is now saying that my ip profile for my line is 62Mbps.

I know a lot users have been coming onto BT/Sky and TT recently, so could this be affecting the speed, a fault or BT performing work for multicasting that is reducing the speed.

This is speedtest taken only last week, so will perform another tonight and see if this is just BT being over cautious or if there is an actual issue

Further update looks like it is a BT issue as my neighbours speeds have also dropped from the 69Mbps to 62Mbps

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Have BT revised their speed estimates?

ok, done some tests when got home and both BT and Samknows is providing different information to what I was previously getting and actually getting

Have BT revised the estimated download speeds on their products? The 4 grabs below are all from tonight

bttest.jpgbttest2.jpgbttest3.jpg

So really weird why BT are now showing 62Mbps compared to them previously saying 69Mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Re: Have BT revised their speed estimates?

a lot of people have seen similar changes it is possibly due to more accurate data now being available for particular cabinets it will not affect your connection as you have seen looking at your BT speedtest your IP Profile is 77.42 which is about the best you can get with the FTTC product
0 Ratings
Jaseb41
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

When I signed up for infinity 2 was estimated 53.3 down and 15.3 up first day was getting 69 down and 18 up after a couple of days went down to 61 down and 17 up ip profile of 63.46 had a power cut about 2 weeks ago ip now 61.46 has not gone back up yet so getting now 59 down and around 15 up, just checked bt Online checker and now gives estimate of 48.4 down and 10.4 up so quite a big drop on the upload so I suppose i am not doing to bad was the first to be activated on our cabinet in January this year and since then I guess there had been a big take up of fibre as adsl speeds were not brilliant so just hope speeds don't drop any more or might downgrade to infinity 1 if things get worse?
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

@john46 wrote:
a lot of people have seen similar changes it is possibly due to more accurate data now being available for particular cabinets it will not affect your connection as you have seen looking at your BT speedtest your IP Profile is 77.42 which is about the best you can get with the FTTC product

@IT is on BT - I've seen people on the alternate FTTC network in our area reaching 90Mbps down and 30Mbps up which is good if you have a good line. I know last year my line was syncing @ 85Mbps down and 28Mbps up.

0 Ratings