cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iWalden92
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

BT Infinity Speed

Hi, I've recently received my HH5 which is great compared to my previous ASUS router 🙂

The only niggle I've found is when I put my telephone number into the speed checker it estimates speeds between 63-80mb but when I run a bt speedtest it is only 54.9mb from the exchange. Is there anything I can do to maximize my network speed?

Thanks, Alex

Quoted.JPG

Test.JPG

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Infinity Speed

Use this checker and post back a screen print of the results.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen print of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 14

Also, somewhere on the web interface of the HH5 is a age to show the connection statistics such as sync speed. (Not sure where as I haven't got an HH5; maybe someone can fill in.) Post those stats as well as the ones mentioned above.
0 Ratings
iWalden92
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I'll try the speed tests when I get home tomorrow.
0 Ratings
iWalden92
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Avilable.JPGtest.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

This is a public forum. Delete your phone number from the above post or you could end up getting unsolicited phone calls.

Can you also post your up and down IP profiles.

0 Ratings
iWalden92
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Cheers for the heads up on telephone number, completely forgot to remove it Smiley Tongue

further test.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

It looks to me that you are on the estimate range B which is an Impacted Line, this means that your line quality is poorer than a range A line and probably has a "bridge tap" which occurs when one cable is spliced into another to break out cable pairs. In other words a join.

Another factor that effects your speed is the distance you are from the cabinet.

Speed Graph.gif

Your IP profile is correct for the speed you are getting and because your speed is within this estimated range I dont think there will be much you can do about it. 

0 Ratings
iWalden92
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

When I originally got Infinity I received faster speeds but the HH3 didn't have the wireless range for my house so I fitted an ASUS router but it developed a fault over the last couple of months causing it to frequently restart itself.

Could the router restarting itself cause the IP Profile to drop?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

What was your previous speeds?

The router restarting should not effect your speeds. If your Openreach modem was restarting that would cause DLM (Dynamic Line Management) to lower your speeds.

The lowering of your IP Profile could be because of your line degrading or crosstalk on the line caused by more people taking up Infinity. You could try reporting it to BT but they might not do anything because you are within the estimate but no harm in asking. 

0 Ratings