cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 11 of 17

Re: BT Infinity VDSL worse performance than ADSL

Thanks again for the input.

I've just tried an old pair of Devolo dLan adapters and these do not seem to cause any interference - I'm still getting 50Mbps download with them plugged in. However, I took them out of service a couple years back because the WiFi output from the slave adapter was faulty, and replaced them with the TP link ones. So I might get another couple of Devolos or go for the BT ones noted in the posting above. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

@gg30340 wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@gg30340 I notice that on that other thread, it was TP Link adapters causing the problem.

It might be something to do with the way they filter out the electrical impulses for ADSL being different for VDSL that causes greater loss of the VDSL signal. 

Its more likely poor AC balance, resulting in excessive RF radiation, or a poor quality waveform. They still degrade ADSL to some extent. I expect there are more people out there with similar issues, who are using those adapters.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 17

@chrisjp wrote:

Thanks again for the input.

I've just tried an old pair of Devolo dLan adapters and these do not seem to cause any interference - I'm still getting 50Mbps download with them plugged in. However, I took them out of service a couple years back because the WiFi output from the slave adapter was faulty, and replaced them with the TP link ones. So I might get another couple of Devolos or go for the BT ones noted in the posting above. 

That is positive proof, something other users need to be aware of, if they are using TP Link adapters.

This is another thread I will have to "tag", because I am sure we are going to see it again.

I have just added the links to both forum threads, to my website page about powerline interference.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 14 of 17

I've ordered the BT Wifi 600 powerline adapter kit and will post again when I've tried them out (delivery expected on Monday thanks to Amazon Prime). I previously went for the TP link adapters because they seemed to offer the only slave unit with 3 ethernet sockets. The BT one offers only 2 so I'll have to put up with one of my units not connected permanently.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 17

Put an Ethernet switch into your circuit and you can connect more Ethernet devices via the switch.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 16 of 17

I have now installed the BT Home Hotspot Plus 600 powerline extender and one hotspot instead of my TP-Link Powerline TL-WPA8630P(UK) units. This is to a BT Infinity VDSL connection.  I'm pleased to say I'm getting 50Mbps download speed from the router and around 35-40Mbps from the hotspot. This compares with around 10Mbps download at the router and 1.2Mbps at the hotspot with the TP-Link units. A huge difference and it is therefore confirmed that the TP-Link units must have caused very significant interference with the VDSL signal. They previously worked fine when I had the BT ADSL internet service.

So, if you have the BT VDSL internet service don't use TP-Link powerline extenders!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 17

I wonder how many other people with VDSL, and those TP Link adapters, are having problems with speed?

Its lucky for you, that you visited this forum Smiley Wink

0 Ratings