Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peternac26
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

BT Infinity box outside the house and drilling thru cables

Go to solution

Hello,

I get this message when I sign for the broadband.

"There's no need to install the equipment you are sent, the engineer will do all this for you. You can discuss where things go, on the day with the engineer.

We will need to make a visit to your property to install BT infinity straight into your home. We need to attach a small box (15cm x 10cm x 3cm) to the outside wall of your home near to where your current phone line enters. You don't need to be at home for this, but the engineer will need to have access to the outside of your property in order to complete the installation. This engineer will use the existing phone line at the address."

My question is: does the engineer need to drill into the house.  I currently have a fast broadband with TalkTalk.  The BT cable comes through the frame of the PVC door into the house squeezed between the bricks and the frame and I would prefer to avoid holes through the door. So, my question is: to install BT infinity having an existing BT line, do they need to drill through the door to pass more cables? 

I would suggest to BT to add some pictures to the web site together with the text description of the job.

Cheers,

Peternac26

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT Infinity box outside the house and drilling thru cables

Go to solution

There is no Infinity any more, are you getting Superfast broadband delivered by copper from the cabinet or Ultrafast broadband delivered by fibre to your house? If the latter then a hole will need to be drilled for the fibre.

0 Ratings
peternac26
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks for your response,

I am getting this: 

SUPERFAST FIBRE

Your download speed 50Mb

Your Stay Fast Guarantee 25Mb
Upload speed 10Mb

What these speed estimates mean for you 

Superfast fibre broadband that’s great for streaming and catch-up TV

• Stay Fast Guarantee – get the speeds we promise you, or £20 back
  • Unlimited monthly usage
  • Smart Hub – more powerful than the hubs from other big broadband providers
  • BT Virus Protect on 2 devices and Parental controls
  • No broadband price rises in 2019

£35.99 a month

Includes BT line rental

18 month contract, then £43.99 a month

My question is: does the engineer need to drill holes? 

Kind Regards,

Peternac26

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Both Superfast and Ultrafast can be delivered by either FTTC or FTTP so that gives us no clue. FTTC is normally self install now and would not require a box outside the property.

Enter your address HERE and post a screenshot of the result (remove address first) so we can see what you are getting.

0 Ratings
peternac26
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

The number is but I get an error

Welcome to the Broadband Availability checker. This will provide a provisional check of your ability to receive reliable Broadband services.

Please enter your telephone number.

There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line.

If this is a new BT number and does not appear after 24 hours then please click here for further details.

0 Ratings
peternac26
Beginner
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

When I try to sign in they say that they will send and engineer and they will install a box outside the house. I wonder why because with Talk Talk I don't need a box outside the house and they use the BT phone line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Delete number from previous post, enter  address in the checker and post result

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

If you’re getting FTTP and it’s on the Legacy, aka Blown Fibre Network then they’ll install a CSP, Customer Splice Point on the outside of your house.

0 Ratings
peternac26
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution
  1. My question is: do they need to drill holes thru the door or to pass more cables through the door?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

Until we know what service you are getting we don't know. If you are getting fibre to the house (FTTP) then a hole will need to be drilled somewhere for the fibre.

0 Ratings