Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ben_the_wad_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

BT Infinity connection drops in bad weather

Hi,

Since upgrading to Infinity earlier this year, the connection has started to drop every time it begins to rain. This also happens when there are high winds without any rain.

This problem did not occur while we had standard broadband (or at least was very infrequent and not as noticeable).

I have logged a couple of faults through BT online help but unsurprisingly these found nothing (as I can only do this while the line is working). When the line is working, we receive the expected speeds (70Mbps+ download) and low pings.

Having searched online for this issue, it seems that it will require a visit from an engineer to assess and fix any fault that exists.

I'm happy to provide any line test info here if guided, but as the line works as expected during good weather I'm not sure whether these will show any useful information.

Thanks,

Ben

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT Infinity connection drops in bad weather

Usually two culprits. Copper swinging on trees and floods. Does the quiet line test get noisy when the speed drops and do you have disconnections or not?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
ben_the_wad_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The quiet line test appears the same right after the connection drops. I've tested a couple of times when the router is showing a blue light and once as quickly as possible after connection drops - each time the line is quiet with a very occasional low scratchy noise.

I will try to catch a connection that allows me to run the noise test while the router is still showing as disconnected.

Thanks,

Ben

0 Ratings
ben_the_wad_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Hi,

I've had a chance to listen to the quiet line test while it has been raining (the router had disconnected). The line was crackling fairly loudly throughout the test with some even louder spikes in volume.

Would this suggest to you that the line is being affected by the water somehow, given how the line is almost entirely silent when the weather is fair?

Thanks,

Ben

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

look at how the copper gets into the property and check for any tree where the cable may be hanging from
0 Ratings
ben_the_wad_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Hi,

The cable isn't close to touching any trees or other obstacles, even when the wind is blowing strongly.

Ben

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

do others on the same distribution box experience similar issues? If this has to do with floods somewhere upstream you will all be affected
0 Ratings
ben_the_wad_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

I've not spoken to any neighbours but I'm not sure it would be flooding or build up of water as it occurs the minute we have any rain at all, even when it's only drizzling.

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

This happened to me a few years ago. Similar intermittent issues, seemingly weather related.

BT's "engineer" plugged his box of tricks into my socket and said "There's an earth fault about 80 metres away."

We walked down the lane and looked at the last pole into the house. The cover had come off the junction box. When it rained that did wonders for the connection. Of course, when it was harder to detect in dry weather.

Took about 10 minutes to fix it. Well, after 30 minutes or so waiting for the "cherry picker" to arrive – apparently he wasn't allowed to go up a ladder on his own. Just dead lucky that there was another engineering with the right kit nearby.

It took me months to persuade my then ISP, TalkTalk (I know, a cowboy outfit), to ask BT to send someone out to check the line.

0 Ratings
ben_the_wad_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. It does sound similar to the issues I'm having. I'll have to have a closer look at the poles nearby to see if there is any obvious issue.

It looks like I've got at least a few weeks of jumping through hoops to convince BT to come out and look at the line to see if there is an issue there. Hopefully the issue can be found if the weather is fair as I've read other forum posts where the fault wasn't apparent unless the weather was bad at the time the engineer visited.

Ben

0 Ratings