cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: BT Infinity connection drops in bad weather

If you get through BT when the line is crackling they can hear it themselves...
0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 18

@Interceptor121 wrote:
If you get through BT when the line is crackling they can hear it themselves...

Yes. And when things go pear shaped, you can repeat your own line tests using BT's increasingly powerful self-testing process. It wasn't there when my problem arose, but I have since had issues that showed up on those tests.

BT Openreach believes those more than it believes what you tell them. (All customers are, by definition, technical thickies.)

When I have problems – even when I don't – I also run regular speedtests on the BT Wholesale speed checker.

0 Ratings
ben_the_wad_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Thanks for your updates. I performed a speed check through the BT account page and it was showing around 45mbps (up until recently we got 70mbps on a third party speed checker).

The BT speed check found an issue outside our property and a fault has been opened, so hopefully this will lead to the resolution of both the intermittent connection and the slower speeds we've been receiving recently.

I'll keep this post updated with the latest information in case anyone else stumbles across it.

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 18

@ben_the_wad_uk wrote:

The BT speed check found an issue outside our property and a fault has been opened, so hopefully this will lead to the resolution of both the intermittent connection and the slower speeds we've been receiving recently.

That's the thing to look for. If BT's system finds a fault on its system they can hardly turn round and blame your equipment.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ben_the_wad_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 18

Just an update on this in case it can help people - the engineer came round earlier this week and ran the full array of tests on the line. I happened to be in so got some good feedback from him on various things to look for and try should the connection run into issues again.

Annoyingly, the weather was clear and dry when he visited so the line showed no issues whatsoever. We've had speeds back to the previous 70Mbps during the dry weather but unfortunately the connection has started dropping again today due to wet weather, so it looks like I will have to continue raising faults with BT until an engineer happens to come out on a wet day.

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 18

In my case, the bad weather effect got worse and worse and persisted when the rain stopped. Then the Openreach technician had no problem using his magic widgets to detect the site of the bad connection, an exposed junction box up the telegraph pole.

One thing I did was to run regular speed checks on different speed test sites. Several times a day (to avoid the issue of congestion influences) over a period of weeks.

I kept a spreadsheet that showed the up and down nature of my service.  That provided pretty convincing evidence that I wasn't making it up.

Good luck. You may need it.

0 Ratings
ben_the_wad_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 18

I thought I'd provide an update on this, in case anyone comes across it while suffering similar symptoms.

After several online chats that didn't resolve the issue, I tinkered with the wireless channels after being told that sometimes these auto-switching during times of high line interference could cause the router to restart. This had no effect (the connection dropped when it rained half an hour later).

I then opened a complaint with BT but have just had this closed down because the line tests came back fine, which I explained I would expect as they were performed earlier today during good weather.

I have been following your advice and have started a log of pings, download speeds and upload speeds during various times of day but I don't think I have enough data yet to prove my case.

Strangely, I am hoping for a wet weekend so I can monitor the speed during dry and wet periods along with a ping test I plan to leave running. Hopefully this will provide enough evidence for BT to send an engineer out to the pole in the street behind my property which is the only part the engineer could not check on his visit a few months ago.

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 18

If you know where the dodgy connection is, you could always hose it down and see what happens.

0 Ratings