Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cj63
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

BT Infinity continuously dropping out

Hi

Since I moved over to BT Infinity on 2 October (from a 2.5mB copper line broadband) I have been having repeated problems with the line dropping out.  BT support has run repeated tests, told me several times that there is a problem at the exchange and sent two engineers, who have re-routed my internal wiring, installed a new main socket, confirmed no fault with the HH5a and checked all the external cabling to the cabinet (which is some distance away but we have upgraded cable as it runs through trees most of the way).  Finally, I have been given the choice of living with the problem or reverting to copper broadband and told that this is to be expected as more people log on!  So, I decided to live with it but the problem is getting worse and now drops out up to 2-3 times an hour, mostly without any warning lights on the hub and no record on the hub.  I did check on the forum if a fixed IP address will solve the problem and a kind reply said no and advised a new hub but before I pay £100+ for this, I'm trying one last time to see if anyone has another solution.

Here are the result of various tests:

Quiet line test - silent.  No reported broadband issues in our area.

BTW line test - download speed: 13.22; upload speed: 1.09; ping latency: 17.63

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 13.22 Mbps

0 Mbps12.61 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 13.22 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 8.82 Mbps-12.61 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 12.61 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 1.09 Mbps

0 Mbps2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.09Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Router stats:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ52533172
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 02/10/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 05:18:45
6. Data rate:1173 / 13026
7. Maximum data rate:1173 / 13886
8. Noise margin:5.7 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation:13.3 / 32.5
10. Signal attenuation:13.3 / 26.2
11. Data sent/received:158.9 MB / 2.7 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Apologies if this repeats several other posts and thanks in advance of any help.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Barry57
Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: BT Infinity continuously dropping out

Sound like your having a time an half with it 😞

"BT Home Hub 5  Type A"

That bit  does stand out and it could be an area to look at if the line checks keep coming back with no fault found.

The hh5a absolutely played havoc with my line,  despite the line having no fault found on every bt test. 

The only known fix is to  "front end it" with an openreach modem ( HG612 ,ECI ect ) being bt based, the modems "just work" even with the tv box which can be a headscracher.

or

You could thereplace hh5a all together and look at another other modem /router combo eg TPlink /Billion/Zyxel/Draytek ect.

I went down the unlocked* openreach modem route (*wanted to see the line info) after advice on here.

Now the line is stable for months Smiley Happy 

I'm not sure a static ip would make any difference to line stablity ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 22

As per your previous post, a static IP address would make no difference and in any event BT do not supply them on residential line.

If you are considering spending money on a new router, do not get another Homehub. Spend your money on a third party VDSL modem/router such as the TP-Link TD-W9980 which costs under £70.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Even cheaper at the moment, on sale at £53.79 at a well known PC store 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

Enter your phone number and post results. Remember to delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
cj63
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 22

Hi and thanks.

Just had to use BT Desktop Help to reconnect, all the time the hub showed OK and still no record in the helpdesk file

Here's the info:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High

Low

High

Low

FTTC Range A (Clean)

--

Available

FTTC Range B (Impacted)

--

Available

WBC ADSL 2+

Up to 2.5

--

1 to 4

Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M

Up to 2.5

Up to 0.5

1 to 4

Available

ADSL Max

Up to 2

--

1 to 3.5

Available

WBC Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

Other Offerings

Fibre Multicast

--

--

--

Available

Copper Multicast

--

--

--

Available

And thanks to the other replies with advice.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

If you have BTDescktop Help installed I would recommend that you uninstall it. It can cause more problems than it ever solves and it is not needed for anything on your computer or to connect to the Internet.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 8 of 22

Personally I'd try a two pronged approach by raising a fault* as your still (just) with in the 3 months of install and the speed on the on the cusp of 25% under impact range b & also look at getting a openreach modem to see that calms the line down while the fault is being investigated.

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21

0 Ratings
cj63
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

An update.

Decided to try the TP-Link modem as GG30340 suggested (my wireless coverage with the HH is not that great) and after returning the first as it wouldn't connect to VDSL and the TP-Link support people thought it was faulty, the second also doesn't connect.  So phoned BT and surprisingly they say there is now a fault on my line (again!) which they are investigating, although the HH5 connects albeit with losses every 5-10 mins.

So, I await the next instalment.  In the meantime have contacted other broadband suppliers but they don't seem keen to offer anything more than 2.5mB via ADSL but at half the price.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

did you get the tplink 9980?  did you change username to  bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings