cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
euphrosene
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

BT Infinity daily multiple disconnects since installation at end Nov 2013

Am rushing to post this as I will no doubt have yet another disconnect. Have only had BT Infinity since 28/11/2013 but, apart from a few days earlier this month, not a day has gone by without multiple daily disconnects.

It comes back up when I 'Troubleshoot Problems' but changing channels has been a waste of time.

I never had this problem with my previous BT package and was rarely disconnected so obviously (?) the issue must be to do with the installation or the line or somewhere outside.

The engineer was supposed to come on 24/12/13 but didn't turn up - he is now due on 2nd Jan. I hope.

I am getting seriously fed up with all these endless disconnects. It is not what I expect from a supposedly superior service to the one I previously had.

Can anyone shed any light on what could be the cause?

Please don't say this is what I will have to put up with till the contract runs its course 😞

VERY UNHAPPY INDEED.

Euphrosene

artist-writer-author
www.euphrosenelabon.com
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
euphrosene
Contributor
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT Infinity daily multiple disconnects since installation at end Nov 2013

Have got Home Hub 5
artist-writer-author
www.euphrosenelabon.com
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

The problem could be as you have said yourself, the installation or the line or somewhere outside.

It could also be a faulty Homehub.

Do the disconnects only happen to wireless connections or only wired connections or to both wired and wireless?

If it is only wireless it would more likely be either a faulty hub or interference or problems with your devices.

Is it happening on all your devices or on only certain ones?

Do the Homehub lights change when there are disconnections?

What are your speeds, what is your IP profile?

euphrosene
Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Apologies for the delay in responding. I didn't get a notification 😞

The disconnects affect the TV as well though that has an ethernet cable in the home hub. But I work upstairs from the home hub wirelessly which is most seriously affected.

Mostly the home hub stays blue although it has gone amber a few times and yesterday evening it went completely bonkers with multiple colours - which I might have found magnetically attractive if I wasn't in the middle of watching something!!!

Re speeds and IP profile: sorry, haven't a clue 😞

PS Will click the white star wherever that might be.

artist-writer-author
www.euphrosenelabon.com
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. You will need to do this test connect by Ethernet.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
euphrosene
Contributor
Message 6 of 21

PrntScr not working and neither is my BT login as I have had to get a new password every time despite it being exactly the same ARGH!!!

Did good old copy and paste:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER Telephone Number 01....... on Exchange RUSTINGTON is served by Cabinet 16 Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date High Low High Low FTTC Range A (Clean) 23.7 17 4.7 2.8 -- Available FTTC Range B (Impacted) 19.8 8.7 4.3 1.2 -- Available WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 4 -- 3 to 7 Available WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 4 Up to 0.5 3 to 7 Available ADSL Max Up to 3.5 -- 2.5 to 6.5 Available WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available Other Offerings Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. For FTTC Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions. Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises. The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 31-Oct-2013. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 28-Feb-2014. If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated. Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service. Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check. Thank you for your interest.

Re speed test - I can't do the other test right now :^/

artist-writer-author
www.euphrosenelabon.com
0 Ratings
AndyCap
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Does it drop when the phone rings or you put phone off hook?

If so remove the openreach NTE box front cover/s (two screws) and using one of those dangly filters you used on ADSL, connect router to the main phone line.

That should remove all extension wiring but if you also have a alarm system connected to phone that may still be connected.

If that works your new NTE filter may be faulty, I know I had one.

0 Ratings
euphrosene
Contributor
Message 8 of 21

No, not the 'phone.

I haven't been able to spot a pattern - even with the weather.

artist-writer-author
www.euphrosenelabon.com
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Have you managed to run the speed check yet and obtain the IP profiles as requested earlier?

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
euphrosene
Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Sorry, only just woken after awful night's sleep.

As this will require moving computer, unplugging ethernet cable from TV etc, and the engineer is coming on Friday, it's probably better to leave it for him to sort out.

To be honest, I thought there might be a recognisable pattern with other users who had also experienced constant disconnects after changing to Infinity. But it seems not.

artist-writer-author
www.euphrosenelabon.com
0 Ratings