cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guttenflax
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Infinity impossible to install? Why? I only need the PTTC!

Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to a 2nd floor flat in Redruth, Cornwall.

Before moving, two weeks ago, I used the HOME MOVE service from BT to move my Infinity (76Mbps) to my new address. I keep on checking my new postcode and FOR SURE the fibre is available at that exchange cabinet.

My appointment is scheduled for Oct 29th (more than one month waiting 😞    ) but today I've received a call from a BT operator who informed me that their engineer was on the place this morning and reported that the fibre cannot be "installed" due to the fact that it's a second floor in a flat block building.

The lady on the phone told me she would have cancelled my appointment and suggested me to choose a regular BT broadband package instead of my desired Infinity.

Why all this? I just required to move my PTTC Fibre package to my new address! Why should they care if the building I currently live in has or not the fibre installed? I just need the copper wiring just like in my previous home!

I'm not interested in the 300Mbps I want my beloved 76Mbps I had before! How can I convince them to just connect me to the fibre at the exchange cabinet?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Infinity impossible to install? Why? I only need the PTTC!

Go to solution

It certainly sounds to me like the person you spoke to today ( and the engineer in question ) thought that you are after FTTP and not FTTC.   I really don't see how that confusion could have arisen, but then this is BT we are talking about.   As you say, for FTTC it doesn't matter whether the flat is on the ground floor or the 10th just so long as the copper wiring reaches !

I personally would have told the person on the phone that she was talking complete and utter nonsense and I would have kept on until she realised the mistake.  Can you get back on to the Home Move people and explain what's gone wrong ?  There's also a chance one of the forum moderators may offer to take this up for you - if so then he or she will post in this thread.

guttenflax
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

My Odissey continues

Go to solution

I will try to briefly resume my complaint:

• 21 SEP : I contact BT to let them know I will move home from Newquay to Redruth on Oct 2nd. I clearly specify that I want to mantain my Infinity Option 2 intact and just transfer it to my new address in Redruth. My engineer visit is booked for Oct 29th. I will wait patiently more than one month.

• 11 OCT: a BT female operator calls me and states that installing Infinity on my property is impossible because its a flat block and it would be difficult cabling the fibre up to my apartment without involving other properties.
    The same day I write to BT insisting on the fact that I ordered a “regular” 76Mbps FTTC Infinity with the fibre arriving to the exchange cabinet and arriving to my appartment through the existing copper wiring.
  • 12OCT: a male BT operator calls me and tries to insist on the technical difficulties about installing BT Infinity in my property. Finally I manage to make him understand that I simply need a normal FTTC fibre connection and he confirms me that on Oct 29th an engineer will be sent to connect me to the fibre in the phone exchange at my Redruth postcode.

• 13OCT: the operator who called me on Oct 11th calls me again and confirms that the fibre at the Exchange is available and that she will have to cancel the old order and make a new one specifying the FTTC connection request.

• 16OCT: the same lady calls me to confirm that my line is now active and that she managed to anticipate the visit from the engineer on Oct 24th. Wonderful!
    After the call I receive an email with the details of the new order where the engineer is scheduled to visit MY OLD ADDRESS IN NEWQUAY!!!
    I immediately called 800 800 150 to change the wrong address in the order and another operator confirms that she would have cancelled my order and placed a new one for my CORRECT address in Redruth. Again they confirmed that my new phone line is already active.

Curious about my new line activation I test it but it’s still impossible do dial any number. After one hour I receive my online bill and with horror I discovered the reason:

THEY ACTIVATED A NEW LINE AT MY OLD ADDRESS IN NEWQUAY AND I’VE BEEN ALREADY CHARGED THROUGHT DIRECT DEBT FOR ITS RENTAL!!!

Now, I believe I’ve been too calm so far and I’m beginning to be really upset about this unbelievable chain of stupid mistakes.

I wrote them again and I demanded:

• The deactivation of the never requested phone line in my old address in Newquay and the immediate refund of its rental line charges for I refuse to pay for mistakes I’m not responsible for.
  • The activation of the LINE IN REDRUTH I kindly requested almost one month ago
  • The visit of an engineer in my REDRUTH ADDRESS ASAP because I’ve already been waiting too long for this FTTC fibre connection.

I will keep you guys updated...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Re: My Odissey continues

Go to solution

with all the hassle it would better if when mods read this they offer to help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
Hi guttenflax,

If you fill out the contact us form located in the about me section of my profile we can take a look at this for you.
Cheers,
Chris
BT Mod Team.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

guttenflax
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
Hi Chris,

I already sent the same complain to the contact us section including more details like order numbers and home address.

Thanks for your attention.
0 Ratings
guttenflax
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Update:

This morning they sent me a SMS to confirm that my line at my new address is now active.

I tried it plugging a phone in and it works. Wonderful!

But still no internet.

Now the problem is that they made a brand new request for Infinity just yesterday and now my new appointment with the engineer is scheduled for December 2nd!!! I begged the gentle operator to make the impossible to anticipate it because I've been waiting since September and the date has been postponed just because of their incredible mistakes.

I've already got my HUB3 and the white fibre Openreach modem I brought with me from the previous home... why should I receive another welcome package on October 28th?

Ah... and there's still the "little detail" about my last bill I've already paid through direct debit:

bill

0 Ratings
guttenflax
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

UPDATES:

I received a call from a BT Customer Service and the lady told me that AGAIN an engineer visited my area and reported that Infinity is not compatible with my property.

Looks like the cabinet in my postcode IS provided with fibre but only provides FTTP setups and NOT FTTC.

Since I live at the 2nd floor of a flat block I have no chance of having any Infinity installed.

She told me that I can only have a regular broadband after she will have cancelled my current Infinity order.

I'm still waiting and also yesterday I called to have my HOME MOVE Infinity order (once again) cancelled.

They told me that it takes 24 hours... but nothing happens... and I can't purchase any Broadband package because, of course, a previous order is still pending.

I only hope they don't get confused and deactivate my new landline as well. They are capable of that.

I keep on waiting...and staying calm.

I'm an angry and tired customer who also paid around 60£ for services never requested in a house where I don't live anymore.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
FTTP is not provisioned from the cabinet. Please check your phone number here and see what the results are www.dslchecker.bt.com
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
guttenflax
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
The engineers already reported twoce that there's no chance of having Infinity for me.
For now my priority is that they cancel that Infinity order so that I can finally order a Unlimited Broadband Package.
You know, I'm waiting since Sptember 21st!
0 Ratings