swaber
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 14

Re: A few questions

my sons a lorry driver and he uses my FON account

0 Ratings
WeeMan
Message 12 of 14

Re: BT Infinity install - master socket move?

Here is a little info on Infinity, master sockets and ADLS filters

My BT engineer seemed in a rush and did not offer to move my master socket nor run an RJ11 extension cable from the master to where I wanted to place the modem and router. He actually left it in a configuration that could not work. We could not test as my telephone line was being transferred to BT at the same time so was not active when the guy came to do the broadband.

He fitted a new master socket plate on the master socket which splits internet and phone into different sockets at the plate. This means you can only plug your internet modem into the master socket or run an additional extension cable.

This really peed me off as I do not want to run a new cable (why the BT guy didn't is another story) nor have a modem, a router, the connecting  RJ45 and RJ11 cables and the two power supplies in my little hallway. I want them running off the kitchen extension socket as I always have done.

I have done a bit of homework. All you need to know is here  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

"The new I-Plate (Interstitial Plate) from BT. (Master plate fitted by BT) The iPlate is  for NTE5 master sockets and has a 22mH choke which is intended to filter out  interference that would normally be picked up on the bell wire*.

BUT

"If you already have an adsl NTE5 faceplate and/or have removed the ring wire,  then there isn't much point installing an i-plate"

BT just change the master plate as it saves them worrying about the bell wire or other connections from your extensions causing problems.

Well in troubleshooting poor ADSL in the past, I had disconnected the obsolete ring wire (it explains how in the link above)

so I knew I did not need the new master plate.

I removed this iPlate returning my installation back how it was.

This is is very simple and involves no wiring. Just undo the 2 screws and unplug the bottom plate, unplug the new BT iPlate, plug the bottom plate back in and replace the screws. The iPlate has a slot in the bottom allowing the cable to be passed through without disconnecting any wires.

I then was able to plug the modem and my phone back into my kitchen extension via a standard microfilter and everything works fine.

If you have additional phones extensions then each one that is in use will need a microfilter.

I hope this helps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 14

@WeeMan

please stop spamming the forum - 1 post is enough

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 14

@WeeMan wrote:

I removed this iPlate returning my installation back how it was.

This is is very simple and involves no wiring. Just undo the 2 screws and unplug the bottom plate, unplug the new BT iPlate, plug the bottom plate back in and replace the screws. The iPlate has a slot in the bottom allowing the cable to be passed through without disconnecting any wires.

I then was able to plug the modem and my phone back into my kitchen extension via a standard microfilter and everything works fine.

If you have additional phones extensions then each one that is in use will need a microfilter.

I hope this helps

Its not an iplate mate. Its a central filter. Infinity and FTTC is quite sensitive to bad wiring and signal reflections which is why its filtered at the master socket. 

0 Ratings