Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottacoleman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Infinity - installation engineer cable runs

Hi

I am waiting for my street cabinet to be enabled for Infinity, but would like to know what cables the engineer will look to run from my master socket.

Currently, the master socket is in my hallway, with no power nearby so would be looking to install the Openreach modem and HH2 upstairs which is on an extension from the master socket.

So, I'm just wondering how many additional cables I will need to persuade my wife she can live with Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Jason404
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Infinity - installation engineer cable runs

I have BT Infinity installed, although the extension that I asked for just goes into the next room from the master socket. 

However, the installation engineer mentioned that he liked the fact that it was an easy job, as the previous one involved him making an extension to the other end in a large house.

The Openreach modem needs to be connected to the master socket with an ethernet cable, so the engineer will have to make that extension for you.

0 Ratings
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

The engineer will install a data extension kit upto 30m away from the master socket, BT describe the cable as pencil thin in size so probably Cat 5.

0 Ratings
great1
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

I'm having my infinity service installed next week. I was just wondering about the connection between the modem and the hub. this is achieved via an ethernet cable (the red one in the manual). Say if I didn't want the hub near to the modem...

At the moment, my regular home hub on total broacband is connected via a standard telephone wall plate in the loft conversion. from the hub, I have a NAS, a desktop, a powerline adapter and an ethernet printer connected to the rear of the hub. My plan is to have the new hub up in the loft conversion as it is now (ideally a nice swap-over with the infinity hub). Theoretically I should be able to use powerline adapters from the modem to the hub (if I understand correctly, powerline adapters are effectively ethernet cable routed through the property's electrical cables?)

Can someone please tell me if what I a proposing is advisable or even do-able. With regards to the engineer, I imagine he would just want to come and install the modem and hub at the master socket.

What about the cable which connects the modem to the master socket? What is this DSL cable? What are the connectors at each end of the cable? Is the port on the new faceplate an ethernet port? How about the other end on the modem? can i have the modem together with the hub in the loft away from the master socket?

One last question...this data extender...is it to extend the connection from the master socket to the modem, or from the modem to the hub?

Thank you so much for any responses!
0 Ratings
Jason404
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

@great1

The Openreach modem will not be connected to your phone extension, as the Total Broadband Home Hub was before.  It needs to be connected to the master socket with an ethernet cable.

Therefore the installation engineer will run a new ethernet cable from your master socket to your loft conversion.  I think this must be what you are calling the 'data extender'.  I think iit must be the 'DSL cable' too.

A new faceplate will be fitted to the master socket, which will have an ethernet port on it.  There will no longer be any need for ADSL filters. 

There will also be no need for the Openreach VDSL modem to be anywhere else but right next to the Infinity Home Hub (which seems to be the same things as the regular Home Hub, but without the built-in ADSL modem, and a ethernet WAN port which replaces one of the ethernet LAN ports - so it is just like a regular cable modem).  The Openreach VDSL modem is connected to the Infinity Home Hub using a regular ethernet cable as well.

Basically, the installation consists of a new master socket faceplate and an ethernet extension cable running from it to wherever you need it to be (within 30m, according to Oddiuss09 - so you may have to pay extra for a longer extension).

0 Ratings
great1
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

hi jason, thanks for your reply.

you said: "Therefore the installation engineer will run a new ethernet cable from your master socket to your loft conversion"

instead of doing this (which would mean having the cable go up two flights of steps and skirtings etc) could i not have the powerline adapters replicate this function? i've already got a pair lying around? i'm suprised no one has mentioned the use of these yet on the forums.

thanks again
0 Ratings
Jason404
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

I don't know, and it possible that the installation engineer would not know either, as he may not be trained for that sort of non-standard installation.  The one that did mine was not too sure about a couple of questions I asked him.

You'll certainly be able to have the modem and router by the faceplate, and have the powerline adaptors run the connection to the loft, and use a switch there for the other computers. 

I think it is probable that the powerline adaptors will not be able to transceive(?) the VDSL2 signal, but that's just my guess.  Standard 8P8C connectors and ethernet cable are used, but it's not ethernet, AFAICT.

0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

There has been mention that once the new faceplate is on the master socket you will no longer need adsl filters for infinity. But what about extension sockets? I have a few pre-built in around my flat. One which connects my sky hd, another with a fax printer & another with a bedroom phone. Currently I have adsl filters on all these extension sockets that are in use. Will these no longer need the adsl filters once the engineer does what he needs to do with the master socket?

I know this won't be a consideration in my current flat as Infinity is not appearing anytime soon on Dagenham exchange. Thankfully we will be hopefully moving soon to an infinity enabled area - Inglebourne exchange - and I would need to know this.

Does anyone else make broadband such an important consideration when planning a move? I think estate agents should be more clued up on broadband availability when trying to market. For me it's an important consideration and I could not stomach living anywhere that can only provide say 1 m/bit downloads! My other half thinks I am mad and gets very frustrated when I won't consider certain areas just because of the broadband!!!

0 Ratings
adamwebb28
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

The new faceplate filters the extension sockets for you. So you don't need any filters on the extension sockets, where your sky etc are. Although mine are still attached (been to lazy to go and sort them!) and its not caused any problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Jason404
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Even when I was using ADSL I did not need any microfilters, as I fitted a special master socket faceplate with a built-in filter.  All extensions run from the master socket (which is why it is called that).  Any ADSL or VDSL has to come from the unfiltered port of a filtered master socket.

If BT Infinity in your new property is important to you, you will need to use the postcode/telephone number checker on the BT Infinity site, as I do not think that whole exchanges get upgraded at a time; the green boxes on street corners get upgraded.

While I have BT Infinity, my friends on the other side of the main road in my area cannot get it yet.

0 Ratings