cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
clnelson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity installation, no broadband for a week!

We decided a while ago to upgrade to fibre broadband, we live in an area without cable and were running a 20Mbps ADSL connection with Sky. We decided to ditch Sky and have BT Infinity. I thought Sky's customer service was a little pants, but BT's so far has made them look like the best thing since sliced bread.

I was scheduled for an engineer visit on 23rd October 2013 between 8am to 1pm. By 1:30pm there was no sign of the engineer, so I called customer services to find out when they were going to arrive. I was told there was a problem at the exchange. The parts had been ordered and fast tracked for Friday and the installation would go ahead then.

Having heard nothing more, Friday 25th has arrived and after just checking the status of my order I discover that my installation date has changed now to 7th November. Again no one has contacted me to tell me or explain why when I was told it would be 25th (today). I have phoned up customer services to find out what is going on (again me calling not BT) to have them explain that the engineer visit is now the 7th Nov. I pointed out what had been discussed previously and explained that we use the broadband connection heavily to allow us to remote work etc and couldn't do without it for two weeks. We were told that they would reject the appointment and try to get one for Wed or Thurs next week, but it wasn't very committal. I have pointed out that this is completely unacceptable and it needed to be done today as promised, but was told this couldn't be done.

The issue apparently was that there was insufficient capacity at my local exchange and parts needed ordering and installing to correct this. This has now been done but the engineer that does the home visits is not available to do the installation at my house.

So in the world of "Treating Customers Fairly" my issues with capacity, stopping my installation from going ahead on Wednesday has meant that someone else scheduled for today will probably be okay, while I have to wait, how is that fair?

Also should the issue of capacity been checked prior to the installation date, surely if Openreach leave the check until then BT have a high risk of not being able to meet your installation agreement?

And finally why do I have to chase BT, surely they should be keeping me informed at all times if things are not proceeding as expected. I find this lack of care for customer service and lack of communication extremely unprofessional and does not give me any confidence that the installation will go ahead next week either.

I am very seriously considering cancelling and going elsewhere, I am already without broadband and it appears I am going to have to put with it as BT doesn't seem to give a stuff and will not escalate it.

Thanks for sorting the issues out at the exchange, I'll get my network connection from someone else, see how you like being messed around!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity installation, no broadband for a week!

You seem to have been mucked about by BT. I would think that when a moderator of the forum, who are BT staff, read this they will get in touch to see if they can help you. If they do get in touch it will be via this post.

clnelson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

@gg30340  Thanks, it's nice to know it's not just me that thinks that, I'll keep you informed here of the ensuing saga! Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Hi Clnelson,

Welcome to the community forum. I would like to take a look at the details of your complaint. Please could you send me in your details using the "Contact Us" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
clnelson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Just filled in your contact us form.

0 Ratings
clnelson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Update.

I've been contacted by Customer Services to confirm they will be here on Wednesday 30th, and they're giving us a month free for our inconvenience (whoopee do, make it three and I'll shut up).

So while this is an improvement on the 7th it's still not today (as promised).

I suppose I'll have to put up with this and as long as there are no further foul ups on Wednesday I will.  If there are any further issues BT either they fix them on the day, or they can have their equipment back and I shall be cancelling my order.

Oh and I'll be wanting the line rental I paid up front for a year back as well, that will go to my new provider also.

Finger crossed, although I'm not hoping for much at the moment.

Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
clnelson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Further update

Checked the install date (once bitten, twice shy and all that) to see that is was set for today as discussed on Friday.  Found that it had been put back to the 7th November AGAIN!!!

Quick phone call to BT customer services discovered that although the case had been escalated no one had done anything from the engineering side of things so we were still in for the 7th.  The customer services rep was very good and completely understood my frustration and contacted the engineers and now has us booked in for this afternoon.

I would like to point out as I said before, any foul ups, failures to turn up etc today and the equipment is going back and we will be refunded our order and I'll go back to Sky (as much as I don't want to).  I shall also make sure God and his dog know how we've been treated as this level of service from a company as big as BT is beyond the pale and they still don't seem to care.  Get your act together and you might make more money by keeping customers and not p***ing off new ones.

0 Ratings