cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity installation utilising overhead BT copper cables strung on wooden poles

Go to solution

Hi All,

At present I have BT Broadband ASDL utilising existing overhead BT copper cables strung on wooden poles. BT engineer is upgrading installation to BT Infinity in late December 2012.

I thought BT Infinity utilised high speed fibre cables installed in underground duct and manhole system. 

Will BT Infinity work utilising the existing overhead BT copper cables strung on wooden poles or is a BT plant upgrade required??

Regards 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity installation utilising overhead BT copper cables strung on wooden poles

Go to solution

Are you getting FTTP or FTTC?

If its FTTC then the Fibre Cable only goes to the RDSLAM your PCP is connected to and from there it is then normal Copper Cable.

If you are getting FTTP then they do have overhead Fibre Optical Cable that goes from a Fibre Node on the pole to your house. It is quite rare but I have seen it before.

0 Ratings
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Re: BT Infinity installation utilising overhead BT copper cables strung on wooden poles

Go to solution

Hi Plain View

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I am now retired and my past experience has been on copper cable based plant - yes a geriatric!!

Please explain the terms FTTC, FTTP, RDSCAM and PCP? - I assume they all relate to fibre technology?

Have a good weekend

zombie5

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

With FTTP (fibre to the premises) they run a new bit of fibre cabling from the local distribution point. This offers the best speeds but its only available in very few areas at the moment.

The more common type is FTTC (fibre to the cabinet). With this they install a new cab with broadband equipment (RDSLAM) in the street and fibre runs from the exchange to this point. Then they link the new cab to the old and use the copper from the old street cab (PCP) to your home without upgrading any of the external wiring.

RDSLAM - remote digital subscriber line access multiplexer

PCP - primary cross-connection point

plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Like Deathrap3000 said, couldn't have put it better myself.

0 Ratings
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Deathtrap3000

Hope you are having a relaxing weekend.

Thank you for your prompt reply which fully explains the proposed BT Infinity installation.

zombie5 

0 Ratings
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Re: Download/upload speed for BT Infinity using overhead BT copper cables strung on wooden pole

Go to solution

I understand my new BT Infinity broadband being installed on 21 Dec 2012 will be fibre to the local BT Infinity street cabinet. Then ASDL over the existing overhead BT copper cables strung on wooden poles.

My property is at the at the end of a deadend street - probably the furthest from the local BT Infinity street cabinet. The existing overhead BT copper cables strung on wooden poles run over a considerable distance to my property.

What effect will the existing BT infrastructure have on the download/upload speed for BT Infinity?

Regards

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Re: Download/upload speed for BT Infinity using overhead BT copper cables strung on wooden pole

Go to solution

With FTTC, its now VDSL being used instead of ADSL. It allows higher frequency ranges to be used so theres more bandwidth (currently VDSL in this country is 17mhz possibly rising to 30mhz in the future and ADSL sits around 2mhz). Obviously with the copper from the cabinet still being used, the same things that effect ADSL effect VDSL like distance from cabinet and the type of cabling used.

0 Ratings
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Deathtrap 3000,

Thank you for your informative and very helpful reply.

Zombie5

0 Ratings