Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JakeSanchard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Infinity installation

Question #1

There currently is a phone line at the place I am renting but I don't know the number and neither does the landlord, how can I tell if BT Inifnity is available at my house?

Question #2

The phone line is quite old and probably hasn't been used in a long time. What does the engineer need to do if the line isn't live/active? Will there be any possibility of him/her having to do any internal cabling? I don't think I could get permission for internal cabling.

Question #3

Doesn't BT Infinity require a fibre optic connection? How can I tell if my house has one? If it doesn't have a fibre optic connection, will I still be charged if I no longer want BT Infinity?

Question #4

I need a broadband connection but the phone line is in the hall way and it's positioned a few centimetres from the ceiling. I'd like the router to be in my room. Is there a way to get an extension from the phone line to my room (about 3 metres) so that my router can be plugged in in my room without internal cabling i.e. no cables in the walls and at no extra cost?

Question #5

Assuming everything goes well and BT Inifnity is installed without the need for internal cabling, when would the first bill be due?

Question #6

If for whatever reason BT Infinity cannot be installed without internal cabling, could standard broadband be fitted this way?

Here is a rough diagram of what I hope can be done. Diagram

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Infinity installation

1 check the postcode
2 yes

0 Ratings
JakeSanchard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

I checked the postcode and apparently it's already wired up for Infinity. Still need a few more answers before I order anything.
0 Ratings
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 12

#3 No - the fibre only runs as far as the street cabinet, the rest of the connection into "your" house uses the normal existing cabling.

Talk to BT about #1 and #2, it's the only sure option.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 12

the only internal cabling needed is to replace the existing master socket with the infinity master socket
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

If there are no phone sockets in your room currently then an extension will need to be run. Alternatively you could use powerline adapters or leave it at the main socket and use wireless.

0 Ratings
JakeSanchard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

@DeathTrap3000

Because the main socket is in the hall way, which is quite narrow, the router can't be kept in there because it would be a fire hazard apparently.

When people say extension, is that just a cable? One that I could fasten around my door frame and have it come into my room through the gap under the door (opposite side to hinges).

@Bullit
The cabling is fastened to the wall, not actually in the wall. It only goes into the wall when it leaves the house above the front door.

0 Ratings
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

If having electrical equipment in the hallway is an issue then you are going to have a problem there.  Infinity uses a separate modem and router, not a combined modem/router, and the modem is usually installed adjacent to the master socket.    In your case it might be a better idea to have the master socket relocated to somewhere where the fire hazard does not exist.

0 Ratings
JakeSanchard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

@biffo1963
I guess that's going to cost quite a bit extra isn't it 😕
0 Ratings
JakeSanchard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

I logged on to my account and I got this message:

"Your appointment is no longer required, as our engineer can connect your line without requiring access to your premises. The engineer will work to connect your line at the exchange."

My appointment was going to be on the 16th August. Does this mean that I have to install the router and phone by myself when my kit arrives? I was going to cancel my order because I contacted BT and I couldn't get a straight answer from them but now the engineer doesn't need to come to my house so presumably, I can use a phone line extension cable (seen here) and setup the kit in my room?

0 Ratings