cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrsjsw3
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity installation

Can anyone direct me to how to get help getting an dodgy physical BT Infinity installation fixed??  Engineer came this morning - said I had nothing to sign when asked and that he did not know how my computer worked so had not switched it on and shot off.  Only when he had gone did I discover that the openreach socket was not fixed properly to the wall (it's in the right place but not solidly attached to the wall when prodded) and he had left no fixings for us to mount the router on the wall.  We've tried ringing the helpline to get it fixed, but they are pointing the finger at me for for not checking 'properly' before the engineer left.  They are considering our case.  (1) isn't BT responsible for doing a reasonable installation and (2) how I am supposed to check a job when I am not an engineer and I don't have a checklist??  I'm also not in the habit of crawling round the floor on my hands and knees with an engineer or detaining a man hell bent on leaving my house.  Perhaps naively I expected BT would do a decent job.   I would also expect an apology for dodgy workmanship rather than a tirade against me for not acting as a technical supervisor. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
SteveBB
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity installation

It's pretty laughable that they expected you to check his work, like you're a teacher and he's a pupil, the last time I checked most of us aren't BT engineers.

My install is scheduled for t-minus 10 hours, wish me luck...
0 Ratings
mrsjsw3
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

The daftest exchange was when I tried to explain to the helpline it was BT's problem because the workmanship was substandard only to be told 'No - it is your problem because I am not going to use your internet'. Hopefully someone from BT will listen back to the discussion on how NOT to keep a customer who has just committed to an 18 month contract happy.
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

You can contact the forum Mods here  https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951  but remember they can take up to 3 working days to reply

0 Ratings
SHOLTIE
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Although I cannot comment on your installation one thing puzzles me why hadn't you turned your computer on. in the welcome pack that I received when I ordered infinity there is a list of tips "Getting ready for your engineer visit" top one make sure your computer is on and ready before the the enigineer arrives".

The engineer I had couldn,t be more helpful. He asked where the master socket was, did I want it moved (yes). My phoneline comes in via a telephone pole and luckily there was a junction box outside my study window he could get to. I already had a hole drilled through the wall for some other cabling so he utiliised this. he asked where in my study I would like the master socket I showed him he cabled everything up as I asked and I took an interest in what he was doing.

0 Ratings
mrsjsw3
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

I wish I had had your engineer - it sounds much more like what I expected. As to why the computer was not switched on - the master telephone socket is underneath the desk where the computer sits so we had moved the desk and computer in order to give the engineer easy access before he arrived. He had to use the space between the computer and the electricity sockets (which are tucked further into the corner right next to the phone socket) to do the installation so to have had the computer switched on would have meant running cables across where he was working. It's an iMac so takes seconds to switch on - it also means there was no need to install the BT Desktop Help because it does not work on an iMac. And whether the computer was on or not does not explain why he left a master socket which is loose and nothing to fix the router to the wall which is the crux of the issue.
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

I assumed you asked for the engineer to fit the modem on the wall?

If you did, and Id recommend filling this out anyway but there is a customer complaints form on openreaches website.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/tellussomething/tellussomethingaboutourpeople/tellabo...

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 9

I think that if you actually try to make a customer complaint on that site it will just say you are not a customer; BT Retail is their customer. And BT Retail seem very loath to pass on complaints (or to do much about getting them fixed).
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

Its a complaint form about openreaches engineers. Generally if a complaint is made against an engineer, it doesnt go through a CP, instead going directly to openreach to sort out.

0 Ratings