cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gerry21
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity installed on Tuesday - is it too early to complain?

Hello,

I upgraded from BT ADSL on Tuesday to BT Infinity 2.  ADSL was connected at about 3Mb download, so having done the phone number check I was told that for BT Infinity 2 I could expect:

"We estimate your download speed will be between 45Mb and 66Mb, and your upload speed will be between 12Mb and 19Mb."

Anyway, upgrade was done on Tuesday and initially it connected at 9Mb download, I've left it until now and it reconnected over night, it's now connected at 4mb!

Do I still need to wait for the 10 day period of settling in??  4Mb connection is not exactly filling me full of confidence!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Block66b
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity installed on Tuesday - is it too early to complain?

Is check your router settings and make sure you've actually been switched to VDSL..... Doesn't sound right at all.....

What's the setup in your house, is the router connected to the NTE or have you put yourself together a Tesco Special?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

if self install are you using test socket with new filter   test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gerry21
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the responses.  It's just reconnected at 10Mb, so better than 4 anyway!

Not sure what a Tesco Special is, but yes the HH5 is connected directly into the master socket.  It's not in the test socket at the moment though.

Home Hub info:

HomeHub5.png

ADSL Checker info:

ADSL checker.png

and speedtest diagnostic info:

Diagnostic.png

I don't have a corded phone to do the quiet line test.

Cheers

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

You are miles from your estimate. Was this a self-install or engineer? If engineer, was it Openreach or a contractor who fitted the socket?

Try connecting to the test socket behind the master socket and see if it improves (at least the max data rate): when connected there, check if your extensions are working, if any are still operational, then you have star wiring, which will cripple your broadband.

You should try and get a corded phone to test your line. If there is no dial tone on your line, then your broadband will work, but at an excessively impacted scale.

Your IP profile on the upload confirms that you are on an Infinity 2 package and you should be getting a minimum of 45mbps (Clean Range A).
0 Ratings
gerry21
Message 6 of 7

It was a self-install on an existing socket.

I've been out and bought an £8.99 corded phone from Maplins... plugged it directly into the master socket - no dial tone.. Tried it in the test socket - no dial tone!

So looks like the line is knackered.

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

You can report the lack of a dial tone either from a mobile phone using this number: 0330 123 4151

Until your dial tone is restored, your broadband will not improve.
0 Ratings